Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice needed...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Skep18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Advice needed...

I'm on my second beer. My first was an IPA that's was bottled after 2 weeks and has been bottle conditioning for 2 weeks. It tasted good out of the carboy, but sweet again after 1 week in the bottle. No worries, I hear "3 weeks 70F" so I'm not too worried about that. For learning, I'll try another one at 2 weeks, but don't expect much before "3 weeks 70F"

However, I have questions about my second brew. Its the NB Caribou Slobber Extract kit. I pitched with Wyeast 1332. My question is about secondaries. I am not opposed to trying it. I realize the long argument surrounding benefits, however, my question is if I secondary will there be enough yeast in suspension for the bottle to carb? Say I did 2 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary like the instructions suggest. Will I get sugary beer if all my yeast is dead/gone?

This whole thought makes me want to do like Revvy and just do 3-4 weeks primary and bottle...

Side note: My next batch will have dry hops, so likewise, I'll ask for the same information for that... I will need to secondary so it becomes a bit more of a concern then...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 100

You will have enough yeast!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Yes there will be enough yeast to bottle. The yeast may be sleepy and take longer than 3 weeks to properly carb but they will. If you want to speed things up a bit you can certainly add a little dry yeast to the batch when you bottle.

Personally, I would skip the secondary and package once the beer has reached FG and dropped clear, probably within 21 days. This assumes you handled your fermentation temperatures and there are no off flavors or flaws the yeast need more time to clean up)

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

1) There's enough yeast present after either secondary or cold crash (or both) to accomplish bottle carbonation.

2) There's no reason I can think of to secondary a batch of caribou slobber.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

You don't have to secondary to dry hop either. Many of us do it in primary,after FG & the beer has had a little time to settle out clear or slightly misty.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The reasons not to secondary are oxygenation (because you're exposing the beer as you move it around, and also because your secondary will be full of oxygen-rich ambient air, while your primary is full of just the CO2 expelled during fermentation) and risk of infection (again, because you're exposing the beer as you move it).

I secondary-ed my first eight batches, and they all carbed up just fine.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I used to automatically transfer every beer to secondary since that is what we all thought we had to do. Much happier now with skipping that one extra step, but either way you'll have plenty of yeast to bottle carb.

Primary: Curvaceous AK, Ruinatious Wheat

Old 10-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I'm curious about your first batch being sweet after 1 week in the bottle. What was your final gravity? Do you have any carbonation at all after one week?

"...allowing the beer to become what it is." -- Jason Yester, Trinity Brewing Co.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Skep18
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the advice. I won't secondary the Slobber, however, I'd like to harvest yeast from the IIPA which was why I was going to secondary. However, I'm beginning to consider just pulling some yeast from my starter and making another small culture to harvest instead of washing. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithead View Post
I'm curious about your first batch being sweet after 1 week in the bottle. What was your final gravity? Do you have any carbonation at all after one week?
Idk as this was our first 5 gallon batch and we didn't have the proper tools then. (We do now.) However, we popped one open last night, a week later and it tasted MUCH better. The "sweet" was nearly gone, not quite. This might be what people describe as "green" however, it didn't taste this sweet before bottling so I attributed it to the priming sugar not being processed yet.

And yes, both last week and this week, it had carbonation. Both times, it hissed a lot, however, last night, it had a much better head.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep18
Thanks for the advice. I won't secondary the Slobber, however, I'd like to harvest yeast from the IIPA which was why I was going to secondary. However, I'm beginning to consider just pulling some yeast from my starter and making another small culture to harvest instead of washing. Thoughts?
That's what I do. It takes a little longer upfront because you have to make a larger starter, but I think it is easier to do and easier to keep sanitary. I would think it is also less likely to be mutated (a concern down the line), but I have absolutely no data to back that up.

Quick Reply