Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice on a bottle capper?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
weevil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Advice on a bottle capper?

I want to buy a fairly cheep hand held bottle capper and need a bit of advice. Is there anything I need to look out for? Recomended brands? Will it work on beer bottles that I have saved from bought beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

All the hand held wing cappers are pretty much the same - in bot price and usability. Just make sure it has a magnet. I have both the Red Baron and Black Beauty. Like the Red Baron a little more. As for bottles, just make sure they aren't twist off and most will work (they need that lip about 1/2 - 3/4 inch down). There are threads around mentioning which bottles don't work so well.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yeah, depending on what homebrewshop or online you order from, most often you pretty much only get on wing capper to choose from. And they all are fine...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
weevil
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice.
I'll check out the bottles I've saved. I live in Portugal so the bottles I have are mostly Sagress and Super Bock which probably are not that known outside of Portugal, so I might not find advice for those brand bottles but I'll try measuring the lip. Thanks again

Old 06-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
THart
Recipes 

I broke a few bottles with my balck beauty, I blamed it on the fact that the jaws that grab the bottleneck are uncovered metal. Just as likely it was due to my own clumsiness but now I have one that has a plastic covering on the jaws & I've never broken a bottle. Unfortunatly I don't know the name or brand but if you see a capper with that feature I'd reccomend it over one that has uncovered metal jaws.

The piano has been drinking
my necktie is asleep
The combo's gone back to New York and
the jukebox has to take a leak
Tom Waits

Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as Hand cappers go, I have used both the black beauty and the Red Baron. I personally like the Red Baron a lot more and I have never had any issue with capping.

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 06-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
I broke a few bottles with my balck beauty, I blamed it on the fact that the jaws that grab the bottleneck are uncovered metal. Just as likely it was due to my own clumsiness but now I have one that has a plastic covering on the jaws & I've never broken a bottle. Unfortunatly I don't know the name or brand but if you see a capper with that feature I'd reccomend it over one that has uncovered metal jaws.
Really? What about all the other thousands of capper that haven't broken bottles?

Just pulling your chain. The problem is not the bottles, but the metal plates (clamps) on the capper.

OP: Check the metal clamps on the capper, specifically the cresent cuts. Look at the back side of the cresents to see if the plate has another set of cresents cut into them. Some of them only have 1 set of cresents cut into them, some have 2. The second cresent cuts are for different size bottle necks...I have a picture of the clamps in several posts in the past, one just the other day.

THart: Your clamps (probably) broke the bottles because the clamps were set for a thinner size neck and your bottles were the (slightly) larger ones.

Quick Reply