*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice on BIG beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Advice on BIG beer

i'm wondering if anyone can give some advice on brewing a BIG beer. any advice on a starter, efficiency loss, longer boil, aeration, longer mash/lower temp would be appreciated!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
i'm wondering if anyone can give some advice on brewing a BIG beer. any advice on a starter, efficiency loss, longer boil, aeration, longer mash/lower temp would be appreciated!
make a starter. you will lose efficiency with giant grain bills. you may need to boil longer to boil off the excess sparge water from a large grain bill. You should aerate your wort well. a longer mash at a lower temp will help ensure a full attenuation.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
android
Recipes 

the largest capacity i've got for a starter is a half gallon growler, any recommendations on how big to start it off and should i step it up?

also, if i insert a smaller diameter piece of tubing with a hole or two in the line when transfering from keggle to fermenter, will this give sufficient aeration? i've been reading that thread on cheap aeration and haven't been able to discern if that is alone sufficient or if i should stir it around some as well.

thanks for the quick reply.

SumnerH Likes This 
Old 03-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got a Trippel on deck, OG 1.088 planning to pitch 1/2 gallon of starter Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey, had good results first go round with a direct pitch of the smack pack, hoping for better attenuation this time, with 1. large starter, and 2. more aeration and 3. longer primary!

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

The best way to pitch a big beer is to make a smaller beer first and pitch on the cake. Effectively you have a five gallon starter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
The best way to pitch a big beer is to make a smaller beer first and pitch on the cake. Effectively you have a five gallon starter.
Make sure you don't pitch on the _whole_ cake, though. Even with an OG of 1.110, that'd be overpitching by more than 5 times what you want. Fermentation will take off like a rocket, but like underpitching, overpitching is bad flavor-wise.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
This can be true, but also has it's limits from what I've read. You can acquire flavor from the first beer and you can also have problems with stressed yeast. For really really big beers (like +1.100), though, this is by far the easiest way to go. Another way to determine yeast needed is to use the Mr Malty Pitching rate calculator.
If you decide to make a "5 gallon starter" beer, then I would do some futher reading on what types of beer would be suitable starters and how to best go about it.....

Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
also, if i insert a smaller diameter piece of tubing with a hole or two in the line when transfering from keggle to fermenter, will this give sufficient aeration?
can someone explain this? in my experience a hole in the line generally causes wort to flow out of said hole. did you mean a hole or two at the end that's in the fermenter, to create multiple streams?

for big beers it's tough to get good aeration without oxygen or an aquarium pump. the preferred method seems to be vigorously shaking the fermenter, which should be ok if you pitch enough yeast. the calculator at mrmalty.com will give you the recommended pitch rate

Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
android
Recipes 

i think if you drill the hole diagonally, you can get intake of air instead of wort spillage.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2172 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 1199

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you would not necessarily make a starter if you pitches multiple dry packets instead?

Quick Reply