Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > adventures in noobland

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
benver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default adventures in noobland

hi,

I have searched forums for tons of info(this place is my best resource), but I'm about to do my 3rd full boil and had a few specific questions.

1. when steeping grains, i have read to steep them in a smaller pot, remove grain bag, and add steeped water to the rest of the full boil. Is this correct, and is it important to steep them in a specific amout of h2o so long as the steeped h2o + full boil h2o, is my target start amount?

2. i have the complete joy of hombrewing 3rd edition by charlie papazien...
in it he refers to sparging the gains, i know in these cases he is talking about extract brewing (which i am doing), but i am unclear on this. I thought "sparging" was a term for the AG process of removing the malt extract from the steeped grains? It is possible he means to run h20 over and through the grain bag prior to removal? is this good practice, or a bad idea because of tanins?

I know this got a little wordy, but i really appreciate the insight and help.

thanks!
Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Your steeped water plus your sparge water are what I think you should be starting with, then you add water to that.

Sparging is rinsing the grains of extra sugars. You should be doing it with partial mashes, I believe.

So, yes, your final volume should definitely include your mash volume as well as your sparge volume.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

You need to clarify what process you are using: 1) extract with steeping grains or 2) partial mash. If you're not sure, you can share the recipe and we'll be able to tell which process it was made for.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
benver
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I am using extract with steeping grains

thanks for the help

Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i've done steep&extract for years now and have never steeped my grains in a seperate pot. i do not sparge or run water over the spent grains either. just let the water drain out of the grain sack and you'll be just fine. KISS- keep it simple stupid!

to specifically answer your questions:
1 no it's not important to steep them in a specific amount of water. i have read that you'll get better utilization with a lesser amount of water, but fugit
2 i would say it is a bad practice to run water over the grains since you might release tannins. just holding the grain sack over the pot and draining is good enough. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BAG!! that will definitely release tannins. once you go all grain then sparging will become important, but until then KISS...

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Quick Reply