The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adventures in brewing, Vol. III, part 2...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Adventures in brewing, Vol. III, part 2...

I'm not really a beginner, but I'm putting this thread here because it's been almost a year since I brewed up a batch I'm really rusty.

So, I brew up an American Amber Ale last weekend, and I've got the wort cooled and am pouring it into the carboy and it's getting really, really full, but there's still about a half gallon or more of wort in the pot. I kind of shrug and end up dumping the excess into the snow and pretty much chalk it up as one of life's little mysteries.

Anyway, today I go to get a carboy cleaned up and sanitized to use for a secondary and something is just not right. I should have two 5 gallon carboys to choose from, but instead I have one 5 and one 6. Hmmm....

Boy, am I ever a nerd! Turns out that last week when I thought I was filling a 6 gallon carboy with wort, it was really a 5 gallon. I guess I have just made a 4 gallon batch of beer.

Well, fewer bottles to fill and cap, I guess.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The worms enjoyed your donation

Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, maybe the grass will be greener there this spring.

Hopefully my next batch will be free from screw-ups.

Quick Reply