Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding yeast to primary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
beckyg5044
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding yeast to primary fermenter

I just did my first beer making tonight....but after adding the yeast and dry-hop pellets to my wort I gave it a stir...which I then realized I shouldn't have done.

Have I messed it up?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.
Becky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
oxford brewer
Recipes 

Welcome to the 'Hobby' beckyg5044

I dont think you will have done any damage by stirring after putting yeast and pellets inI always give my wort an extra stir when i pitch the yeast.
If the dry-hopping is for aroma, you will lose most of that i believe during primary fermentation.
Hope it turns out ok

Old 04-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This should'nt be a problem unless what ever you stirred with was not clean and sanitized. Before fermentation begins its ok to stir and get as much air into the wort as possible unless the wort is hot. I have read that introducing to much air into hot wort can cause long term oxidation problems. I have only read this I probably would'nt even know what a long term oxidation problem would be or taste like. Its my guess that when your yeast kick into action what ever is in your primary will be moved around quite a bit. You may want to try crushing your pellets before adding them. I have never dry hopped in the primary only the secondary but I would like to know how your brew comes out. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If your spoon was sanitised you have absolutely nothing to worry about. For my first brew I was using an old plastic broom handle covered in scratches to stir it and the beer turned out fine.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
beckyg5044
Recipes 

Default Thank You!

Thank you for all the replies. I'm glad to hear that I didn't make a fatal mistake so early on in the process! I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Right at the beginning of the ferment is the only time you want to put oxygen into the process. So, stir away!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply