Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > adding sugar to wort after the boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
nebben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

ChickenBeer,

What recipe did you follow? If you used extract, you can pin-point the gravity based on how much water you used and the amount of extract. Piece of cake. If you did a partial boil then measured the gravity, there is a good (great) chance that it wasn't mixed sufficiently.

If you did AG, then your efficiency could be off.

Either way, even though you didn't specify what gravity you measured (and was low) , I wouldn't recommend adding anything at this point. If you added sugar, the yeast will eat it, up to the point that they stall from lack of nutrients, oxygen, or just high ethanol content. IMHO, it's better to have a little less than what you thought than just add sugar and make it a hoochy foul tasting "strong" beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
ChickenBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default leave it alone

Im going to leave it alone. Though this does raise a good point for me. I have seen many recipes with late additions etc. I have read extensively on people adding sugar in the fermentation stage but they never say when or how much. any guide lines here? why add the sucrose while in the fermentation stage? i mean other than the obvious abv kick.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply