The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding steeping grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
metaltim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Adding steeping grains?

For my second brew, I have a hopped ironmaster imperial pale ale.. and some columbus hops. I'm still noob.. don't really know how the steeping thing works.. or rather.. which grains to steep with what extracts, etc.. but could I steep some grains in this extract to enhance the flavor? My first brew, an extract wheat beer.. tastes good, but little to no finish.. the taste just dissappears in your mouth a second after you drink it..

thanks for help and suggestions..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltim View Post
For my second brew, I have a hopped ironmaster imperial pale ale.. and some columbus hops. I'm still noob.. don't really know how the steeping thing works.. or rather.. which grains to steep with what extracts, etc.. but could I steep some grains in this extract to enhance the flavor? My first brew, an extract wheat beer.. tastes good, but little to no finish.. the taste just dissappears in your mouth a second after you drink it..

thanks for help and suggestions..
A little more info will help - specifically, what's your recipe? Are you using a kit? If so, what's the recipe for the kit?

Also, for general information about extract brewing with steeping grains (and all other things related to brewing) take a look at How to Brew - By John Palmer

Cheers!

Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
metaltim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

well.. i kinda put all i know.. it's an ironmaster imperial pale ale extract, 4lb can, a packet of columbus hops (finishing hops.. extract is hopped already), and, well, another bucket of some extract.. I got it from defalcos, a little kit they put together. It has the yeast as well (safale us-05). Not sure what's in the unlabeled bucket.. just more malt extract. what more info could I give?

I've read through that whole website a couple times.. I see the list of all different types of grains.. I guess I just kinda get lost.. what steeping grains would I want to use for the IPA? Or are certain extracts better off just doing by themselves.. while others are good for steeping grains?

I'm kinda lost

Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Steeping grains are always a nice step up. I have a nice spreadsheet that lists grain information (what has to be mashed, flavor profiles, and color) but I don't have a clue how to load it up here to share it. I would be happy to email it to you if you pm me your address.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

Ok that helps. Here's my thoughts:

1. Your original question - you could steep 1/2 lb of crystal malt in a muslin bag in your water for 30 minutes at 160 degrees (just be sure it doesn't boil). Remove the bags and grain, bring water to a boil and follow the rest of your kits recipe. FYI, the crystal malt needs to be crushed.

2. Get a proper kit in the future, with unhopped extract and all the ingredients you need. Take alook at the Austin Homebrew Supply site and order one.

3. Re-read the first two sections on extract brewing and extract brewing with steeping grains on How to Brew - By John Palmer. Or read the tutorials here (look in the beginning brewing section)

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
metaltim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Ok that helps. Here's my thoughts:

2. Get a proper kit in the future, with unhopped extract and all the ingredients you need. Take alook at the Austin Homebrew Supply site and order one.
Yeh, these two 'kits' came with the home brew kit (it was a gift.. so I wasn't there when purchased)

I was planning on using AHS for all my future orders.. I've already bought some additional equipment through them.

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
metaltim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

nurmey.. thanks.. that same chart is on the home brewing wiki..

Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki

Starting to make sense.. for steeping.. I simply want to stay away from the grains that require mash right? because of the whole starch conversion thing?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1) I don't recommend adding steeping grains to pre-hopped kits. It wont hurt anything, but it doesn't make sense to get the easy kit and then try to make it complicated. Why not just buy the more advanced kit to begin with.

2) Above post already explained steeping.

3) As far as what grains to use, crystal malt is good in just about every beer style. It comes in several different kinds 10 L all the way up to 120L. The higher the number the darker it will make your beer. If your making a dark beer like a stout, you can use roasted barley or chocolate malt as a steeping grain. Be careful with chocolate malt, it will make your house smell like your baking brownies resulting in a hungry wife / girlfriend.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltim View Post
nurmey.. thanks.. that same chart is on the home brewing wiki..

Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki
I knew I had gotten that chart somewhere on here but couldn't for the life of me remember were.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #10
Msbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Here is some more info on Grains.

Specialty Grains Profile used in Brewing

Quick Reply