Adding steeped grains after primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortIfied

Reaction score
I initially made the mistake of pitching my yeast and fermenting with only 5 gallons of wort in my 6.5 gal Carboy. I meant to top up to 5.5 soni could have a transferable 5 gallons at bottling. It has been fermenting for a little over a week now and I took my first hydro test of 1.017, og was 1.098. This was supposed to be a black rye IIPA. I did taste it and I do know you cannot judge taste until carbonation, but I did not taste any roasty characteristics I was hoping for. My concern is I may have used too many hops vs the amount of malt in the boil. I used right at 12oz of hops in the boil, I'm a hop head so sue me!

Figured, maybe I could steep this extra half pound or quarter pound of roasted barley I have in a gallon of water, boil off half the h2o and dump it in. Am I crazy or would it work, I was going to let the primary sit for another 10-14 days anyway...

My original recipe was this:
8oz chocolate malt spec grains
8oz chocolate rye spec grains
8oz caramunich II spec grains
8oz crystal 40L spec grains
6.6# gold lme, 3.3 amber lme, 3.3 dark lme
4oz warrior, 4oz centennial, 4oz Simcoe.

Should I just wait it out? I plan on throwing in another 2 oz Simcoe in secondary along with a few ounces of west coast medium blend oak chips, and another 2oz Simcoe at bottling.

I'm thinking maybe I should just leave it, I have no idea what the medium blend oak chips will bring to the flavor and aroma, I ordered a whole pound but obviously I will only use a few ounces? First time using oak!

I would give it time. You do have a lot of hops that is going to dominate this beer, but between the dark LME and the chocolate malt and rye, you should have some roasty qualities.

You might consider skipping the dry hopping, especially with the Simcoe, which I find can become overpowering.

One thing I'm still having a hard time with is being patient. I am learning slowly but surely :). The sample I did taste was awesome. The rye came out more than I thought it would, perhaps I'm just tasting the massive hop bomb that went off in my mouth lol. Ill consider skipping on the dry hopping, even though I really want this beer to age well, and the last IIPA I brewed lost its hop luster after a couple months. Still interested what the west coast medium roast oak chips will do. I'm not even sure how much to use...

I've not used oak chips a lot, but how much you use will really depend on how much time you let them soak in your beer.

I'm sure there are multiple threads on using oak chips. I would read through some of those.

I Use between 1 1/2 - 2oz chips for 5 gal, soak them in bourbon for 3/4 days then chuck them in...... Now beware how long you leave them in, after 4 days taste a sample and see if it's what you want if not give it 2/3 more days and sample. Repeat until you have the desired flavour. BEWARE of leaving it too long as it will over power the beer.
I like 5/6 days, at that it darkens & gives a slight dry mouth feel to the beer but there is that surprise flavour (it's hard to describe properly) that is in the background.

Back