Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding priming sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I wouldn't buy a bottling bucket because it looks like you've already got one, and you don't need 2.
Did you get the carboy with the kit? If so, I would rack this batch into the carboy, clean and re-sanitize the bottling bucket, boil the priming sugar solution and add it to the freshly sanitized bottling bucket, and then bottle as usual. I know this sounds like a bit of a pain, but it is the only way I can see to get relatively clear beer in the bottles.
For your next batch, I would ferment in the carboy (if you got it), or buy a plastic primary fermenter (same as bottling bucket but without spigot) as a fermenter if you don't want to use, or don't have the carboy.
In fact, you may find that you need more than one primary fermenter if you, your family, and guests drink a batch of beer in less time than it takes to ferment.

As regards the recommendation from your brew shop to leave it in the fermenter for an extra week, I don't know what the instructions with the kit said, but leaving it an extra week will never do any harm, and will usually be very worth while. I think they gave you good advice.

To add priming sugar, I boil the sugar in about 2 cups water to dissolve the sugar and add it to the bottling bucket. I then rack the beer on top of the priming sugar solution, and stir very gently to ensure that the beer and priming sugar are thoroughly mixed. Many people say there is no need to stir, and they are probably right, but stirring without any splashing should not cause any problems, and may prevent uneven carbonation caused by unequal distribution of the priming sugar.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Shred Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
It seems unanimous. True Brew's K6 kit is not only imperfect due to the too large, 6 gallon wine carboy (or so I'm told), but also for an inadequate supply of buckets and siphoning equipment. This is all good stuff for the blog though. Thanks to all for your help!!
Just checked your blog, does your current fermenting bucket have a spigot on it? If so what you can do is after you fermented for about 3 weeks (or 2 if you're impatient) , send it over to your carboy (obviously before doing everything be clean and sanitized and be careful about splashing when you rack) and let it sit there for a week, clean and sanitize your bucket then after the week in the secondary you rack it back to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar already at the bottom.

Though for the ease of use I'd probably still buy a bottling bucket.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Yeah, the fermenting bucket has a hole in the lid for the airlock and also has a spigot. I thought about racking it to the carboy, but the guy at the brew supply place said that it wasn't good to have a 6 gallon carboy for 5 gallons of beer. I suppose in this case it doesn't matter because the bucket is 7.8 gallons anyway.

Any thoughts on this? The instructions with the kit are pathetic. Would I put the airlock on the carboy somehow? Ultimately, I think I'll just end up with another bottling bucket, but I want to understand how and why things work... I've got some catching up to do in my "Complete Joy of Home Brewing" book

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Shred's Saison

Primary 1: Cornholio's Bunghole Surprise
Primary 2: Necromantic Amber Ale
Primary 3: Wooden Tongue Oatmeal Stout
Primary 4: Blaze's 50th B-Day Grapefruit IPA
Primary 5: TC's Torrontes
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: Sara's Chianti

Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The idea (as I was told, maybe this is mumbo jumbo) is because in secondary you're having less fermentation going on you want almost no headspace because there will be little yeast activity to eat up the oxygen you could ruin your beer. That's the idea. Now will it ruin the beer? Who knows.

You could also try (to work on your siphoning skills) just buying a fermenting bucket, racking the beer over there, quickly clean and sanitize your bottling bucket and rack it back. THough I guess the positive to having a fermenting bucket with a spigot is maybe you don't have to siphon? I mean you'll leave whatever is below the fill line in the bucked but if it's placed at the right height that may not be a problem.

As far as the carboy, there should be a bung for it. It looks like a big plug with a hole in the middle that should seal your carboy and fit your airlock.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I actually just ordered an auto siphon and another bottling bucket. I suppose it can't hurt to have these on hand and at some point I'll probably want to do more than 1 brew at a time. I had a $25 off offer to Monster Brew included in the kit. It covered everything but $8 shipping.

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Shred's Saison

Primary 1: Cornholio's Bunghole Surprise
Primary 2: Necromantic Amber Ale
Primary 3: Wooden Tongue Oatmeal Stout
Primary 4: Blaze's 50th B-Day Grapefruit IPA
Primary 5: TC's Torrontes
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: Sara's Chianti

Old 12-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So after racking to a bottleing bucket is it necessary to stir the beer with the sugar water? Or does the mixing already happen when siphoning?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #17
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
So after racking to a bottleing bucket is it necessary to stir the beer with the sugar water? Or does the mixing already happen when siphoning?
What's recommended in books I read is you put the cooled carbonation syrup in the bottling bucket and if you can get your siphon tubing below that syrup if you can, and that way you really eliminate the oxygen risk and you are also mixing it up.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
What's recommended in books I read is you put the cooled carbonation syrup in the bottling bucket and if you can get your siphon tubing below that syrup if you can, and that way you really eliminate the oxygen risk and you are also mixing it up.
Sounds difficult.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #19
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

just let your raking hose kinda coil around the bottom edge of your bottle bucket a little, that makes the beer whirlpool in your bucket mixing with the priming sugar solution in the bottom.
I still carefully stir to make sure its mixed but that's me. YMMV

Brew On!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #20
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
Sounds difficult.
It's not, if it doesn't fit perfectly it's no big deal. Just like poster above me said, lay it flat and make a whirlpool. That's basically what you're trying to do as well in my method. I know people who stir, but why not just let the beer do the work for you?

Quick Reply