Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding more yeast = higher ABV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
zickefoose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding more yeast = higher ABV?

I'm brewing a Russian Imperial Stout pretty soon and I really want to get the most out of it. I was curious if adding another vial of White Labs to my starter will drive my FG up. I do realize this will dry out my beer quite a bit but I'm okay with that.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Melnyk
Recipes 

nope it will give you a better chance of hitting your fg where you want it but more yeast doesnt equal more alcohol. more sugar = more alcohol

Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
febbrewro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Adding more yeast won't achieve a higher ABV. Adding more sugar will. The yeast convert sugars to alcohol. Even if you added another packet of yeast, if there are no more sugars present for the yeast to "eat" then they won't produce any more alcohol.

Adding sugar will increase the ABV, and also dry the beer out.

What's your OG, and what FG are you shooting for? I usually have an OG of 1.100 for my imperials, but the FG won't go below 1.020 or so. As the alcohol content increases, the environment becomes more toxic to the yeast and they poop out.

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Irish Toast

Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

More yeast does not mean more alcohol, more sugars does. Although that isnt completely true. If you had a brew where you were using a yeast with a really low alcohol tolerance, and it died out before all the sugar was consumed, then adding some yeast with a high tolerance to alcohol, might get you some more alcohol out of the batch. In this case the extra yeast finished the job, but if you added more yeast after that you wouldnt get any more alcohol.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd encourage you to look into starters and calculating the "recommended" pitching rate for the beer you're brewing. Mr. Malty has a calculator to help. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Take it for what it's worth. It's a tool to help you make better beer. People can (and will) debate the pitching rate issue until they die. I look at it as a way to (possibly) improve my beer.

Long and short of it, the previous posters are correct in the more sugar = higher ABV, BUT... The correct amount of yeast will help you achieve your desired beer.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
dancness
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, if you are looking for a drier / more attenuated beer... certain yeast strains are better at surviving in a high alcohol environment than others and can continue to ferment even at these higher alcohol levels. Of course you would not want to use these in a beer that is supposed to have a relatively high FG (example 1.020 and up) because the beer will not taste as the style dictates.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Using more yeast then you need is called over pitching. It doesn't produce more alcohol or really anything you could call beneficial.

Post a recipe with what you expect out of it. If it's something on the drier side then that can certainly be addressed.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Adding an extra vial of yeast to the starter certainly won't increase the FG.
If (without the extra vial) you had inadequate yeast, and the extra vial made up the deficit, then it could well reduce the FG, and improve the beer.
The best results are produced by pitching the correct amount of healthy yeast. In the case of liquid yeast, this can be done by making a starter. If a simple, one step starter does not produce enough, you could add an extra vial, or you could do a two or three step starter. There are no advantages to be obtained by overpitching, except that you will increase White Labs profits at your expense.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Starting with a good amount of yeast WILL help you have a good healthy ferment that will give you the best chance of reaching proper attenuation for that yeast strain, but that doesn't equate to more yeast equals more alcohol. As said, sugar equals alcohol (up to the attenuation of the yeast).

Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
PolishStout
Recipes 

I love how the first three replies all say the same thing. Shows how much people read before showering the OP with their 2 cents

Quick Reply