Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding more water...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
Flucky07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60
Default Adding more water...

I am making a bluberry wheat beer. I want it light instead of having a full body. I made 5.5 gallons. When i transfer to secondary can i add about 3 gallons of water to create 8.5 gallons of beer to *lighten* the beer up at secondary time?

Its for the misses btw

Eric

__________________

On-deck:
Primary #1: Austrailian Shiraz
Primary #2: Apfelwein 1056 Yeast
Secondary #1: Apfelwein Champ Yeast
Secondary #2: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Fluckers lite beer(07/01/06), Fluckers Pumpkin Spice Deal (07/8/06), Fluckers Whoregaarden (06/17/06), Fluckers Badd Azz Lite
On Tap:

Flucky07 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,019
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flucky07
I am making a bluberry wheat beer. I want it light instead of having a full body. I made 5.5 gallons. When i transfer to secondary can i add about 3 gallons of water to create 8.5 gallons of beer to *lighten* the beer up at secondary time?

Kindof an odd question...you'll be diluting everything: the malt flavor, the hops flavor (probably not a big component of this beer), the blueberry flavor, the ABV, the general beer character.

What was the OG of this beer? How much blueberry?

Unless this was a high OG beer with a huge amount of fruit, I can't imagine it being able to stand that level of dilusion.
__________________

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale
cweston is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Lou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 623
Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flucky07
Its for the misses btw
suuuuuuuure it is... that's what they all say
__________________
Lou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Flucky07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Kindof an odd question...you'll be diluting everything: the malt flavor, the hops flavor (probably not a big component of this beer), the blueberry flavor, the ABV, the general beer character.

What was the OG of this beer? How much blueberry?

Unless this was a high OG beer with a huge amount of fruit, I can't imagine it being able to stand that level of dilusion.
I didnt take an OG of the beer...i am going to use 4oz of blueberry extract that i got from the LHBS at bottling time. And i also am going to use 1.5 lbs of blueberries in the secondary.?
I just dont want a full kick to it. Maybe around 4.4abv
I used extract as well...for ingrediance...

Do you suggest maybe an extra gallon to go up to 6.5 gallons then?


Eric
__________________

On-deck:
Primary #1: Austrailian Shiraz
Primary #2: Apfelwein 1056 Yeast
Secondary #1: Apfelwein Champ Yeast
Secondary #2: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Fluckers lite beer(07/01/06), Fluckers Pumpkin Spice Deal (07/8/06), Fluckers Whoregaarden (06/17/06), Fluckers Badd Azz Lite
On Tap:

Flucky07 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,019
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flucky07
I didnt take an OG of the beer...i am going to use 4oz of blueberry extract that i got from the LHBS at bottling time. And i also am going to use 1.5 lbs of blueberries in the secondary.?
I just dont want a full kick to it. Maybe around 4.4abv
I used extract as well...for ingrediance...

Do you suggest maybe an extra gallon to go up to 6.5 gallons then?
OK--how much extract was in the 5.5 gallon batch? We can calculate the OG how it will be effected by diluting from that.

What a lot of women and/or non beer geeks seem to mean by "lighter" is a beer with less bitterness and hops presence.* Chances are your blueberry wheat already qualifies.

(*That and maybe "lighter in color." I think a lot of marginal beer drinkers actually prefer darker, maliter beers once they set aside their preconceived notion that darker beers are only for super beer lovers.)
__________________

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale
cweston is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
Flucky07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
OK--how much extract was in the 5.5 gallon batch? We can calculate the OG how it will be effected by diluting from that.

What a lot of women and/or non beer geeks seem to mean by "lighter" is a beer with less bitterness and hops presence.* Chances are your blueberry wheat already qualifies.

(*That and maybe "lighter in color." I think a lot of marginal beer drinkers actually prefer darker, maliter beers once they set aside their preconceived notion that darker beers are only for super beer lovers.)
I dont recall what brand is was but it was a hefeweisen from germany. it came in a large red container. I believe it was 8lbs...
__________________

On-deck:
Primary #1: Austrailian Shiraz
Primary #2: Apfelwein 1056 Yeast
Secondary #1: Apfelwein Champ Yeast
Secondary #2: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Fluckers lite beer(07/01/06), Fluckers Pumpkin Spice Deal (07/8/06), Fluckers Whoregaarden (06/17/06), Fluckers Badd Azz Lite
On Tap:

Flucky07 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you always boil water before adding it to the must? calman General Techniques 13 07-24-2011 03:59 AM
Adding hot water Bru All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 09-18-2009 01:19 PM
adding water to fermentor? steakinabottle Extract Brewing 4 09-06-2009 05:35 PM
Adding Water? skeletor All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 10-22-2008 10:56 PM
Adding water unclefrank Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 09-07-2006 11:39 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS