Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > adding maple to nut brown ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
steve2189
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding maple to nut brown ale

i want to add maple to a nut brown ale to make a maple nut brown ale what should i use to do this? maple syrup? maple extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out the recipe in my profile called "The Kings Nutz". This is an imperial brown ale with maple syrup. Without looking at my notes, I think I used around 12oz. of pure maple syrup. The problem is...maple syrup is pretty fermentable. Most of the flavor is lost, but you do get a little bit through. I love the beer, but if you're going for an over the top maple flavor, you may want to try an extract. You could also try using the maple syrup at bottling time to replace the priming sugar. This might leave you with a little more flavor.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
SchulteMeister
Recipes 

I just used maple syrup in a Russian Imperial Stout. I added it right at the end of the boil. As suthrncomfrt said, it is really fermentable. My primary exploded. Make sure you use Grade B, it retains the maple flavor better than A. Some people add it to the secondary as well.

Quick Reply