Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding Malt Too Early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
crmsncream
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Malt Too Early?

Hi All -

Yesterday a buddy and I did our first brew. A great experience. However, we might have made a critical mistake. After steeping the grains for 30 minutes, we added our malt extract to the kettle before it reached a boil. The instructions say to bring the grain steeped water to a boil before adding the malt extract. We added the malt extract to the grain steeped water and brought the water to a boil together.

Is the batch ruined? What are some of the potential consequences?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
biohaz7331
Brew Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No it should be fine. I can't think of any reason that this would hurt anything. One other thing to consider is the fact that you can add half the lme at the specified time and the other half near the end at around 15 minutes. Doing this can reduce the chance of your brew turning out darker than it is meant too because you can caramelize the sugars if you are doing a partial boil. As a note you might want to post other questions like this under the Extract Brewing section.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It doesn't matter whether you added it to the boil or brought it to a boil. It doesn't affect anything.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It doesn't matter whether you added it to the boil or brought it to a boil. It doesn't affect anything.
this. As long as you didnt start your hop sched until it was boiling you will be 100% A O K

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Quick Reply