Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding a little alcohol to boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by klay23 View Post
Haven't brewed yet.... Sorry for the confusion
In that case it should be pretty easy to just bump the base grain (or the extract) a little being mindful you may need to bump the hops too. If you change the recipe a lot you may need to adjust your specialy grains to get the flavor/color.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #22
comer88888
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I am not really sure why you would want to add milk to a beer. To get alcohol the yeast eats sugars and oxygen and poops out alcohol and co2. I don't think there is a lot of sugar in milk, plus have you ever seen what happens to a glass of milk if left out for a couple of days. It gets nasty. I wouldn't want that in my beer.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #23
klay23
Recipes 

I realize lactose isn't milk. I was asking about milk!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #24
klay23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer88888 View Post
Well I am not really sure why you would want to add milk to a beer. To get alcohol the yeast eats sugars and oxygen and poops out alcohol and co2. I don't think there is a lot of sugar in milk, plus have you ever seen what happens to a glass of milk if left out for a couple of days. It gets nasty. I wouldn't want that in my beer.
That's why I asked. Sounds kinda gross put that way

Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #25
klay23
Recipes 

I was simply thinking of a slightly stronger version of an oatmeal stout. NooB idea...

Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #26
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

you say youre doing the midwest oatmeal stout kit? you could easily add a few pounds of extract, but you may want to adjust the hops to compensate. i would think you could add a pound of DME without affecting flavor much, but the ABV bump wont be alot. other sugars like honey or maple syrup could also make interesting additions.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
comer88888
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I first started brewing I got a kit from midwest like you and added a bunch of honey to boost my alcohol levels. It was a bad idea. The beer was not that good. Now I just stick to the recipes. If you want to make higher Alcohol beers then get a recipe that has the right balance so it doesn't taste bad. that is my 2 cents but you can give it a try. You could just drink one more beer instead of have something that could taste bad but have a high alcohol content.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #28
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You could add a lb of DME and adjust your hop schedule for a little more bitterness w/o needing more. Like if the recipe calls for 1 oz hops at 60 and 1 at 20...could change it to 1.25 oz at 60 and .75 at 20 mins. That would bitter it a little more to compensate for the additional malt.

I would download the free trial of Beersmith2 and plug the ingredients into that, then play around with it.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #29
dkennedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strambo View Post
You could add a lb of DME and adjust your hop schedule for a little more bitterness w/o needing more. Like if the recipe calls for 1 oz hops at 60 and 1 at 20...could change it to 1.25 oz at 60 and .75 at 20 mins. That would bitter it a little more to compensate for the additional malt.

I would download the free trial of Beersmith2 and plug the ingredients into that, then play around with it.
I downloaded Beertarget today- it's Open Source (free). Brewmate as well. Seems to be debate as to which program is better, but tons of options (been very helpful for me in analyzing cause and effect the short way ).

Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #30
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I brew a beer with a low OG, I'll add corn sugar to the secondary to boost the alcohol. This will alow the the yeast to work away at the malt sugars and it doesn't seam to thin out the taste.

Quick Reply