The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > adding hops to recipe kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
snowman2646
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding hops to recipe kit

I have a few extract brew days under my belt now and I'm wanting to start expanding my horizons on brewing recipes. I ordered the Sinistral Warrior IPA kit from NB and was wondering if adding extra oz. of Yakima Magnum at the begining of the bowl and extra oz. of Centennial at mid boil would be a good or bad idea to the recipe below. All the help i could get would be great.

Thanks.

Also what is a good muslin bag substitute.

Specialty Grains
12 oz. Briess Caramel 40
4 oz. Briess Caramel 80

Fermentables
3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 60 min.)
6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 15 min.)

Boil Additions
1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (15 min)
1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
Dry Hop
2 oz. Warrior (0 min)

Last edited by snowman2646; 11-06-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

So you are wanting to up the already 1 oz. of Yakima (what is the alpha acid % in Yakima?) to 2 oz. and boil for 60 min, and then add another ounce of Centennial (I use this and mine is about 9.7%) at 15 min. Welllll, it depends upon your taste. It is going to make this a MUCH hoppier brew...

What taste change are you looking for? Is this particular recipe one you have made before and want something different out of it?

You can use Nylon bags instead of muslin bags.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 11-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
snowman2646
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
So you are wanting to up the already 1 oz. of Yakima (what is the alpha acid % in Yakima?) to 2 oz. and boil for 60 min, and then add another ounce of Centennial (I use this and mine is about 9.7%) at 15 min. Welllll, it depends upon your taste. It is going to make this a MUCH hoppier brew...

What taste change are you looking for? Is this particular recipe one you have made before and want something different out of it?
I've never made said recipe before but i have some what of an emeril lagasse syndrome and i want to kick it up a notch. I'm a hop head but i don't want to go over board.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Heh, gotcha... hop head is good... I'm one of these subtle changes guys You can certainly experiment and kick it up a notch! Personally I'd first taste and brew the style so I knew what I was trying to kick up. If I knew the alpha of that Japanese? hop I could put the original recipe in beer smith and tell you the IBU's before and after you 'tweeked' it. But it seems pretty darn hoppy to begin with to me ...

I'd brew it first and then craft it. If you must do some bammin' throw in 1 tsp of Irish Moss at 15 min, this can be fun and you can yell BAM when you do it..

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Grizzlybrew

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is the recipe you posted the kit or the kit with your suggested additions? It looks like it's the kit (otherwise there would be no 60 min addition). Adding the Centennial at 30 min is definitely going to hop it up a good bit. I think another ounce of magnum at 60 min is going to push the limits of keeping the beer balanced. You probably want to keep it in the 40 - 65 IBU range with that gravity. If you really want to add another ounce of magnum at 60, I would also add the 6 lbs of LME in the beginning to reduce some of the utilization. That... or first wort hop your specialty grains with both ounces of magnum.

idk - as earlier stated, you might want to make it once and then alter. It's kind of like adding salt to a meal before you even taste it...

Old 11-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
snowman2646
Recipes 

Default yakima

The yakima magnum is 14.4

Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

I think the recipe looks good as is. Making it more bitter is unlikely to improve it. I understand wanting to experiment, but the beer looks like the bittering/specific gravity is already leaning towards bitter and adding more hops probably won't be good.

To liken it to Emeril, if you're making spaghetti sauce and 1 teaspoon of oregano is good, 6 teaspoons won't improve it. It'll just make it taste more strongly of oregano. Same with more bittering hops. It'll just make it more bitter, not better.

I'd make the recipe as is, and when it's done, you may want to use some of the centennial for dry hopping instead of, or in addition to the 2 ounces of warrior.

Quick Reply