*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding hops at flame out
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Philistine
I AM TALLER THAN YOU
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Philistine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 75
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Adding hops at flame out

So I want to add hops at flame out for some hop aroma. How much should I add? How much is too much? Is leaving them in for the ~20-30 minutes it takes to chill my wort enough?

__________________
Philistine is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rathdrum, Idaho
Posts: 889
Liked 120 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Too much hops?! Blasphemous!

Kidding aside, I like 2 oz for hoppy styles and .5 to 1oz for others. You can let stand for 10-15 min or chill straight away. The style should dictate your approach more than anything.

__________________
kaconga is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Philistine
I AM TALLER THAN YOU
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Philistine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 75
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

I'm working on a Saison recipe. This has been a bit of an up hill battle since it seems the style is has a wide variability. From my research Saisons should have a low to moderate hop aroma. My current recipe has 1.5 oz (equal parts Northern Brewer and Styrian Goldings hops) added at flame out.

__________________
Philistine is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
jonnyp1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kittery, Maine
Posts: 759
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

20 to 30 min is ok but if you can find a way to cool it faster would be best. As for aroma nothing works better than dry hopping. Take 1-2 oz pellet or whole leaf hops and put them in the beer after beer is finished fermentation and cleaning up about 3wks normally. Then dry hop it for one week.

__________________
Subscribe to our youtube channel where we review your beer, dicuss brewing tips, and share your recipe. Cheers


http://www.youtube.com/user/Homebrew...?feature=watch
jonnyp1980 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rathdrum, Idaho
Posts: 889
Liked 120 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

If you want a stronger hop aroma in your saison then 1.5 oz would be better than 1. Unless we are talking about a competition beer then it is whatever you like best

__________________
kaconga is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyp1980 View Post
20 to 30 min is ok but if you can find a way to cool it faster would be best.
Bullocks. I do 30-60 minute stands at 170-180º for hoppy styles, then finish chilling. The only reason not to is if you don't like hoppy beer.

Quote:
As for aroma nothing works better than dry hopping.
Again, bullocks. Do a hop stand and you'll agree.

OP, if you want a lot of hop character in this beer, let your hops stand (steep) in the wort 20-30 mins before chilling... or chill to ~180º, add hops, stand and then finish chilling. If you're not looking for a ton of hop character, then maybe no knockout addition at all, or just a small one and a fast chill. Either way you go is fine for the saison style as long as you don't overdo the amount of hops.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
jonnyp1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kittery, Maine
Posts: 759
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77

Bullocks. I do 30-60 minute stands at 170-180º for hoppy styles, then finish chilling. The only reason not to is if you don't like hoppy beer.

Again, bullocks. Do a hop stand and you'll agree.

OP, if you want a lot of hop character in this beer, let your hops stand (steep) in the wort 20-30 mins before chilling... or chill to ~180º, add hops, stand and then finish chilling. If you're not looking for a ton of hop character, then maybe no knockout addition at all, or just a small one and a fast chill. Either way you go is fine for the saison style as long as you don't overdo the amount of hops.
Never tried a hop stand. does this method provide more bitterness? Aroma? Or both? For the finished product. Also cause I'm wondering if I don't dry hop and just doing a hop stand be as effective as dry hopping?
__________________
Subscribe to our youtube channel where we review your beer, dicuss brewing tips, and share your recipe. Cheers


http://www.youtube.com/user/Homebrew...?feature=watch
jonnyp1980 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyp1980 View Post
Never tried a hop stand. does this method provide more bitterness? Aroma? Or both? For the finished product. Also cause I'm wondering if I don't dry hop and just doing a hop stand be as effective as dry hopping?
It mainly provides flavor and aroma, but in ways different from late additions in the boil. Arguably, some IBU will be imparted as well, maybe as much as a 10 min boil addition. The flavors and aromas you get in a hop stand depend a lot on the temps, but between 160-180º F you will get loads of juicy hops aroma and flavor that you can't get in the boil. Generally, when I do post boil hopping, it's in an IPA or APA that I also dry hop, so I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a replacement for dry hopping but I did my 4th of July pale ale recipe with no dry hops and a massive 60 min hop stand starting at 170º down to ~145º by the end and the aroma was fantastic.

edit: If you haven't read it, BYO did a great article on hop stands earlier this year
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
jonnyp1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kittery, Maine
Posts: 759
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77

It mainly provides flavor and aroma, but in ways different from late additions in the boil. Arguably, some IBU will be imparted as well, maybe as much as a 10 min boil addition. The flavors and aromas you get in a hop stand depend a lot on the temps, but between 160-180º F you will get loads of juicy hops aroma and flavor that you can't get in the boil. Generally, when I do post boil hopping, it's in an IPA or APA that I also dry hop, so I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a replacement for dry hopping but I did my 4th of July pale ale recipe with no dry hops and a massive 60 min hop stand starting at 170º down to ~145º by the end and the aroma was fantastic.

edit: If you haven't read it, BYO did a great article on hop stands earlier this year
Hey thanks for the reply I will try this in one of my ipa variations and do a review on it on my YouTube channel. Does letting your wert sit that long say a 30 min or even an hour before chilling at 180 pose an issue off flavors ect...again good info thanks.
__________________
Subscribe to our youtube channel where we review your beer, dicuss brewing tips, and share your recipe. Cheers


http://www.youtube.com/user/Homebrew...?feature=watch
jonnyp1980 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Hopper5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,043
Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

If I am doing an IPA I have added upwards of 5 oz at 0 min. That was a good one....

__________________
Hopper5000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding a fruit puree at flame out or whirlpool and it's effect on IBU Patirck General Techniques 2 04-08-2011 10:00 PM
Hops at flame out AND dry hop?? Grantman1 General Techniques 8 12-03-2010 04:55 PM
Dry hopping vs. adding at flame out ArtVandelay Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 02-09-2010 01:14 AM
Flame out hops? Mencken Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-30-2009 02:46 AM
Adding DME at flame-out Christian Extract Brewing 3 12-06-2008 12:20 PM