Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > adding hops to fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
jroiv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding hops to fermenter

I some how forgot to add my last addition of hops during my boil can i add them straight to the fermenter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Depending on how long they were supposed to boil for, you probably won't get the same result. If they were slated for <5 minutes (better if flame-out) then you'll get some of the contribution, but it will fade faster.

Add the hops once fermentation is complete, and still on the yeast cake. So after X weeks (depending on what you're brewing, the OG, etc. that could be anything from 2-12 weeks) add the hops, and taste after a week. If not where you wanted it, taste again a couple of days later.

Most people dry hop for 5-14 days. It all depends on the brew, hops, and what you're going after...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
jroiv
Recipes 

so add the hops when it is done fermenting for a couple days be for i bottle?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
extra_medium
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

you could also add some hop extract to make up for any loss in bitterness.

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

Old 04-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroiv View Post
so add the hops when it is done fermenting for a couple days be for i bottle?
I usually let the hops sit in the fermenter for at least a week, two if I don't get around to doing anything with it. Any longer than two weeks and you can start to get grassy flavors from the hops, although I think some varieties are worse at that than others. Of course you can go shorter than a week if you want less of the hop aroma, but who wants that .

You'll want to check and make sure that fermentation is completely done and you've had the same gravity for a few days. Otherwise, CO2 produced by the fermentation will remove some of the tasty hop aromas that you want to stick around in your beer.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

My first dry hopped batch had them in primary for about 6 days... That was after 3 weeks on the yeast, so fermentation was complete (confirmed it of course)... Depending on how that batch tastes, I might adjust how long I dry hop for in the future.

Just be sure to pick hops that you really like. I used a mix EKG and UK Fuggles in my first dry hop... Smell was unreal (in an unearthly great way)... I can barely wait to actually drink one of that batch...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1835 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

I used Kent Goldings & Willamette in my Summer Pale ale,amber/golden color,earthy,fruity aroma with earthy,fruity,lemon grass,spice under that. Pretty good but my recipe still needs 2 more tweaks to make it better.
I'm seeing that with the water we have around here,(even the spring water),is a little on the low side for accentuating hop bitterness. So I may have to use 1.5oz of each next time. Making it 1.5oz KG at 15mins,1.5oz Willamette at 10 mins. Then maybe dry hop with an ounce of each for 10-14 days,rather than seven. IMHO,it's easier that way,rather playing Russian Roulette with my brewing water trying to figure it out that way.
That'll be good in the long run,but for now,more hops!!

Quick Reply