*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > adding in honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
rebelred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding in honey

Hi
I am wondering if in a ale kit if i substitute some of the sugars i need to add with honey..I am brewing a pale ale....how will it effect the fermentation / end taste...or am i better off using normal sugar( white or brown)...any ther tips of fermentables that one could get from a helath shop/ regular store ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Honey is better than table sugar from a flavor standpoint, but more malt extract is best. Some stores have rice syrup, which is useful to maintain the ABV without changing the taste. There is a beverage called bracket or braggot, which is half malt/half honey. I haven't run into one, though.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelred
Hi
I am wondering if in a ale kit if i substitute some of the sugars i need to add with honey..I am brewing a pale ale....how will it effect the fermentation / end taste...or am i better off using normal sugar( white or brown)...any ther tips of fermentables that one could get from a helath shop/ regular store ?
I use honey regularly, usually adding 1 or 2 lbs per batch, in addition to everything in the kit. So I wouldn't substitute it for anything, rather to enhance the kit. Honey is extremely fermentable and it will jack up your a.b.v. It does not do too much in the sense of flavor as stated previously, it almost completely ferments into alcohol!

cheers, Loop

Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Hi
If you want to brew a true pale ale you are better of substituting malt extract for the sugar. Your beer will be MUCH better.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 06-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Ok, asked this question elsewhere, didn't get much response.

What about pure maple syrup with a red ale? Not to replace anything, but to add some flavor. If anyone has any experience with this, I would *love* it if they would give me some insight on my other post (don't want to hijack this too much or create a duplicate post)...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10348

Old 06-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Hi
When we talk about sugars, we're not talking about the white or brown stuff you make cookies with. The sugars of which we speak are from malted grains. It's a different kind of sugar prepared in a diffent way.

Honey doesn't taste like honey when it's fermented. If you want a honey flavor, you're better off adding honey at bottling time but even then its risky since it could ferment and cause bombs.

Finally, a pale ale is a bad choice for honey. Use honey in maltier beers, not heavily hopped beers. I think a few people may agree with me on this point.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply