Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > adding grains to extract brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
jbaddison33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding grains to extract brew

I have found a clone recipe (all extract) that I am thinking of adding a few pounds of 2 row grains to...in hopes that it gives it a bit sweeter taste, and a bit more body. What would be the downs of doing this and ups possibly? Its a vienna lager and I am thinking a vienna and a Briess malt. Any comments or suggestions would be great

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaddison33 View Post
I have found a clone recipe (all extract) that I am thinking of adding a few pounds of 2 row grains to...in hopes that it gives it a bit sweeter taste, and a bit more body. What would be the downs of doing this and ups possibly? Its a vienna lager and I am thinking a vienna and a Briess malt. Any comments or suggestions would be great
How do you plan to add them? By steeping? If that's the case then your looking to do a partial mash and if that's the case maybe considering moving to all grain is the way to go. If its because of money then IMO, I think you should stick to straight extract batches. If money is not a concern or you don't want a ton of extra equipment, look into upgrading your kettle to the biggest size you can afford, and search for the Brew In A Bag (BIAB) technique. If I would have been clued into this early on, I would have quickly moved to all-grain. I always thought brewing extract would save me tons of time, but I found that not to be the case and my beers were soooo much better. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

If you're going to mash 2-row, you're upping the fermentable sugars in the recipe, which means more alcohol. You'll likely just thin out the beer and up the alcohol. Use some steeping grains like crystal malts to add body and sweetness.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaddison33 View Post
If you are steeping base grains you are actually mashing, and you are doing a partial mash. I just did my first partial mash 2 weeks ago and found that the process is very similar to extract with steeped grains, just more grain, a bit more steeping time and attention to temperature and water volume is more important. I've documented my process here: My Partial Mash Brewing Process » Beer And Garden

You can plug in your recipe quantities to a recipe calculator to see how it affects your recipe - you may want to reduce your quantity of extract or increase the volume slightly if you want to follow the recipe as closely as possible and end up with similar OG & FG numbers.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

There is Munich LME you might consider, or a carapils/carmel combination, or maybe even dextrin...these contribute to flavor/texture.

Without knowing your grain bill it's hard to suggest but in all likelihood the majority of your extract base is from a base 2-row grain already.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1949 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1442

Mashing is a bit different than steeping. You use 1 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. Mash at closer to 150F for more fermentables,closer to 160F for less fermentables & more body/color. Plus it goes for 45 minutes to an hour as I currently understand the process.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
jbaddison33
Recipes 

thanks everyone for your replys! good brewing

Quick Reply