Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > adding gelatin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Scooterkdavis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default adding gelatin?

Hey all, got a quick question, I am doing a heffewiesen kit that comes with geletin to add once fermentation is done. The question i have is that on the instructions it says to only leave in secondary for 2-3 or there will not be enough yeast to carbonate bottles, is this truely what geletin does? Because i like to keep all beers in secondary for at least 10 days. Should i not add the geletin if i want to keep it in a secondary longer?

Thanks
Scott

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know why you would want to clear your hefe. The yeast are not supposed to flocculate so you want it to be cloudy. I don't think I would add it.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Old 09-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Scooterkdavis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

that is exactly what i thought. Thanks its just that this kit was prepared for me by an "award winning" home brewer and i wanted to follow it exactly, but i think the guy was full of it.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't say that he is full of it. I let a nice long secondary clear my beers and I have not had a problem yet.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Old 09-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+2 i would leave any other beer in the secondary for 2+ weeks, but not a hefe. Don't use gelatin, unless you're going for a kristallweizen

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Quick Reply