HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding frozen raspberries; who much, when, how to sanitize

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Tobyone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding frozen raspberries; who much, when, how to sanitize

Hey everyone. so I have done a few searches on the items in the topic but got no definite answers on a few of them. I understand that when adding frozen raspberries to the secondary for a rasp. wheat it's all about experimentation and individual taste so I can live with that, but I will ask anyway, about how many lbs. of frozen rasp. should I add to 3 gallons to get a nicely flavored rasp. wheat? not over powering but enough to say "that's got's some rasp. in it"
Next, and most important, do I need to sanitize frozen rasp. before I add them to the secondary? I have read that you don't need to because the alcohol in the beer will kill the nasties but some say to pasteurize them. so which is it or does it really not matter?
And last, about how long should they stay in the secondary? obviously till any secondary fermentation is done but about how long after that?

Thanks for any and all input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I believe the raspberry wheat I brewed, had 2 lb of berries in a 10 gallon batch. I thought it was the perfect balance, but 3 BJCP judges commented that they would have liked more raspberry. One said that it was a nice wheat beer with raspberries, but not a raspberry wheat. Fruit flavor is really subjective to personal preference, I like it to be subtle, but noticeable.

edited after checking logs.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Last edited by klyph; 10-14-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: checked log

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
klyph
Recipes 

Just checked my log, I split ten gallons into 2 carboys and added a pound to each.
Also, the fermentation will pick back up when you add the berries, so be ready with a blow off tube, you may need it.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Gman2
Recipes 

I went crazy with 4lbs of mixed berries in 5 gallons. I pasturized them first and I think it helped make them into a slury that fermented better. I also felt better knowing there would not be an infection. I dont know if you have to do this, but better safe than sorry.
I also read later that once you rack the beer onto the fruit you should try to cover all the fruit with liquid to avoid molding. I had fruit above the beer line and it didnt mold, but I have seen pictures of moldy fruit that was out of the liquid.

That said my beer was overpowering and too tart. Next time I will halve that to about 2 lbs for 5 gallons.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
djinn88
Recipes 

For sanitizing I have read to soak them (or possibly simmer) them in vodka, rinse, and dump. Could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
If the inside of your fermenter looks like there was a monkey pooh throwing contest...you're golden.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
klyph
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
Next time I will halve that to about 2 lbs for 5 gallons.
Ya I guess 1 lb per five gallons wasn't quite enough, I think if I do it again I'll put 4 lbs in 10 gallons.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Tobyone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So from what i'm reading I think I will try adding 1.5 lbs. to my 3 gallon fermenter. I think I will let them ferment for about a week and a half. Sanitizing is still an issue. I guess I'll pasteurize just to be safe. thanks everyone

Old 10-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You can sanitize them in three ways that I know of...
1) bring em to a boil for a few minutes in a bit of water
2) soak em in vodka for a while
3) soak em in water and a crushed up campden tablet

I've heard from a prof brewer that campden tablets will sometimes add a hint of sulfer flavor to a beer but I've only heard that from one guy and I've never tasted any sulfer after using them.

Personally, I think a little bit of water, crushing them up and bringing them to a boil for a few minutes is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
dotnetdotcom
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used 2.25 lbs of frozen raspberries for a 3 gal batch of 20 IBU wheat beer. I thought that was too much, but my friends really liked it. I wanted a beer with a taste of raspberry, but ended up with a raspberry drink with a taste of beer.

I didn't sanitize the raspberries. I was being a cheapskate because after thawing, there was a lot of raspberry juice in the bag that I didn't want to wash away. I figured that since the primary fermentation was done, it'd be hard to infect the beer. I just pureed the raspberries in a food processor and added to the secondary.

After a week, the pulp was still bobbing around in the carboy, but hydrometer readings confirmed that fermentation was done. I had to use a strainer to remove the pulp when I transferred it to the bottling bucket.

Aging definitely helped this beer. I started drinking it after 2 weeks in the bottle, but I thought it was best after 6 weeks. I gave a bottle to a friend who kept it for over 3 months. We opened it at a little tasting we were having and it was better than I remembered.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Tobyone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so you say you didn't sanitize the rasp. did you use frozen, fresh, etc.?

Quick Reply