Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding flavor to a Brown Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
BadMitten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding flavor to a Brown Ale?

I recently got a recipe for a Newcastle clone. It's going to be my first batch and I was wondering if there were any tricks/ingredients that may add some flavor.

I like Newcastle, it's not a bad beer. I would just like my first beer to have more kick than that. Any ideas? Nothing overly ambitious as I am new to the scene.

Any help would be grand. Thanks,

BadMitten

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
mhenry41h
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depending on the variety of brown ale that you are looking to make you have several options. I just finished an American Brown which my wife thinks is one of the best browns she's ever had. If you look in my threads there is a post on a July 31st double brew day with the recipe. It uses Golden Promise, Maris Otter, Crystal 60, Crystal 77, Chocolate, and Special Roast malts. I ended up using White Labs WLP013 London Ale which fermented the entire 1.060 batch in 3 days. The beer is smooth as can be with just enough roasty character to balance the significant hop character. Special Roast is a dangerous secret weapon at 2.5-5% of your grist bill.

Despite finishing so quickly, I still allowed 2 weeks for the yeast to clean up after themselves. For the third week, I dialed my fermentation fridge down into the 50's to give it sort of a mini-lagering period. It is so smooth and clean for an ale. Delicious beer.

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply