Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding fermentable Sugars to increase alcohol % Please Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
wishmaster84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding fermentable Sugars to increase alcohol % Please Help!

Okay. So I am new to brewing and my first batch had a very low alcohol content. (Not 100% sure as I had no idea how to use a hydrometer) I drank 12 and not even a buzz. I received a few answers on another thread I posted on this subject. I was told to use more malt extract and even adding corn sugar to increase gravity thus having more fermentable sugars. More sugar=more alcohol content.

My questions are this:

What would be better to add? More Malt extract or Corn sugar?

How would I add these sugars? I would assume during the boil?

At what time? I would assume you add these sugars at the same time you would normally add the malt extract in the boil?

How much? How much of either of these sugars should I add? Is there a way of knowing how much to add to get a certain alcohol percentage?

Any answers/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Answers come with more questions: was the beer good? All grain or extract?

I would suggest reading up on hydrometers, how to use, ect. you will need it to add alcohol.

Is the point of brewing beer to get a buzz or to have good beer to drink? If you are just looking for a buz put water sugar and yeast in a jar let it sit and drink that. it wont be good but it will get you drunk.

now... on to your questions.
Malt extract will add flavors to your brew and alcohol, corn sugar is completely ferment able and will just add alcohol (at moderate concentrations, at high concentrations there can be off flavors)

the sugars would be added at the boil, at least before the last 5 minutes, but the beginning would be best.

How much to add depends on where the brew is at currently (reading the hydrometer). knowing how much to get a certain percentage has a lot of factors... yeast used, other ferment able sugars, yeast nutrients...

That should get you started more info and we can probably help more.
PS: welcome to HBT get a few more batches in and we'll have to meet up next time i am up that way for a bottle swap!

Ramitt Likes This 
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1083 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 1198

Sugars ferment out more than malts do and create a drier beer which is desirable in some brews and to some tastes, but you do not want to have more than 10%-20% of your fermentables coming from sugars or adjuncts. Your beer will taste better if you add more malt. If adding sugar, there is no need to add for the full boil as it may carmelize and not ferment fully. If you add with 15 minutes left to the boil you will make sure to kill any nasties. Hopville's BeerCalculus is free recipe software that will give you a good idea what your OG and FG should be along with your ABV.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
wishmaster84
Recipes 

Thanks a lot for the info! I really appreciate it! I am new to the hobby but already enjoy it very much! To answer your question:

Is the point of brewing beer to get a buzz or to have good beer to drink? My answer is both!!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Hopefully I can brew a beer that keeps me warm! (Winter in Iowa is cold!!!!)

Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Check out http://www.howtobrew.com - a great guide for getting started and a resource you can turn back to as you progress in the hobby

I spent 4 years in Iowa City and, yes, winters are cold in Iowa (especially with wind chill!). I remember public schools closing because of wind chill

Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
wishmaster84
Recipes 

Funny you mention this website! I just bought his book a couple of days ago and it was delivered today!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think it would be much better if you tell us your recipe .

It is probably an Extract batch .

Which yeast strain did you use ?

What was the O.G. and F.G. ?

I'm suspicious of stuck fermentation which often occurs with Extract batches .

Hector

Old 02-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Look into Belgian Tripel recipes. We just brewed one last night with a 1.090 OG which should come out to about 9.7% Alcohol. Not my favorite style but it will get ya drunk!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IF you just want to jack up the ABV, you can add sugars to the boil with 10-15 mins left. Just be sure to stir it to it doesn't burn. AHS sells a 1% ABV booster that is prepacked and is a mix. I've used it for a few brews and it's great.

Generally when I'm not happy with a recipe's ABV, I'll add a pound of DME to the recipe which boosts the alcohol by ~0.8%. Choose a DME that fits the profile of the beer. I'll also boost the hops by a fraction to offset the additional malt and alcohol flavors the DME adds.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Warnski
Recipes 

If you increase the amount of malt and/or sugar, do you need to increase the amount of yeast?

Quick Reply