Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding extract at end of boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
rcd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding extract at end of boil?

Lately I've seen a few recipes that share the philosophy of adding all of your LME/DME at the END of the boil (thus, not boiling the extract). I guess the rationale is avoiding carmelization, scorching, etc... and since it's really already been boiled or whatever...

what do you lose by doing it this way? isn't there some interaction required between the extract and hops or something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Hops utilization is actually higher when there is less extract in the wort, or so I have read. Lower gravity = higher utilization. I would still want to boil the extract for at least ten or fifteen minutes, just to ensure sanitation, but I'm planning on doing a late addition with my brew tomorrow. Lower caramalization is the big reason, but I also like me some hops!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Like the Bird said...

I use the late addition process. Most of my malt goes in the last 15 mins of the boil, but I ensure I get a hot break before turning off the heat.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just so I'm clear...You all boil the grains and your hops for the hour or so, THEN add the malt (dry or liquid) at the end of the boil? Every time I go the other route, like the directions say, the wort ends up darker than I'd hoped. This will perhaps cure this?
Man, I HATE directions!

Old 09-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
rcd
Recipes 

The one thing I'm wondering is... say you put half in at the start, and the other half at knockout (okay, say 10 minutes, to pasteurize it). Is the fermentability of either half different? or is the only difference carmelization?

Old 09-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There is a great article at BYO.com about diffent ways to use extracts.

http://byo.com/feature/1510.html

I am looking at doing the "Texas Two-Step" method.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarbrew
Just so I'm clear...You all boil the grains and your hops for the hour or so, THEN add the malt (dry or liquid) at the end of the boil? Every time I go the other route, like the directions say, the wort ends up darker than I'd hoped. This will perhaps cure this? Man, I HATE directions!
IMO, if you use LME then your brew is already darker than you want/expect it before you even start brewing...

I boil 1 lb Extra Light DME for 45 mins (and other ingredients like bittering hop, etc) then add all the other malts and boil for 15. The brews are definitely lighter in color.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
rcd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
IMO, if you use LME then your brew is already darker than you want/expect it before you even start brewing...

I boil 1 lb Extra Light DME for 45 mins (and other ingredients like bittering hop, etc) then add all the other malts and boil for 15. The brews are definitely lighter in color.
you mean... you boil the specialty grains for the last 15 min instead of steeping at the start?

Old 09-25-2006, 03:18 AM   #9
KopyKat

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

When I was extract brewing, I steeped my specialty grains, added 1 lb of LME and added the rest at flameout.

When I was doing partial mash, I steeped my specialty grains and my base malts then added the LME at flameout.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 09-25-2006, 03:27 AM   #10
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarbrew
Just so I'm clear...You all boil the grains and your hops for the hour or so,
Off topic a little, but this bears mention since it pretty important. Don't boil any of the grains...

If you are using steeping grains, you steep in a cheesecloth or fine mesh bag for 15 minutes or more up to a maximum temperature of 160 degrees, then remove the grain bag before starting your boil.

If you are mashing, there are several common techniques, but you will never boil the grains in any of them. You steep the grains in hot water of various temps and sparge with hotter water, but in no case is the temperature greater than 170*F, and for mashing is generally in the 150 to 155 range. This extracts the sugar water that was converted from the starches in the grains. It's this wort that you boil, not the grains.

Quick Reply