Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding Existing Beer to a New Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
blisterman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Existing Beer to a New Batch

I'm new to the forum. About to brew my second ever batch of beer.

Just wondering though. I've heard references to people adding an existing beer to a new one. What would you hope to achieve with this? Does the existing beer impart some of its character on the new beer? Does it need to be a live, non pasteurised beer? When in the brewing process would you do this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have done it, I wouldn't recommend it, and I don't see it done too often.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon View Post
I have done it, I wouldn't recommend it, and I don't see it done too often.
Also a newbie here. Why would you do that? Other than experimentation, is there something it is supposed to add to the process? Should we get the MythBusters involved?

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #4
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

usually it is used to carbonate the beer.

get this: you take some of the NEW beer, which is fresh with sugar, and add a small portion of that to your finished beer and then bottle condition.

instead of using corn sugar, you are using actual wort. if you make a duplicate of the original beer, then you actually have used nothing but the same ingredients throughout the entire batch.

This is called Krausening

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

You may also be referring to a style of lambic called "gueze". A one year old lambic is blended with an aged one (3 yrs). This is similar to krausening since the new lambic still has sugars. It is then bottled and allowed to carbonate.

That is the only blended beer I have ever heard of.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
CGengo
Recipes 

This is also done for a certain few styles like Old Ale and Gueuze. Like fine wine, some beers will develop complex flavor profiles when aged. These beers are often blended between batches to produce a final product with great complexity and balance - think whiskey. Of course, to blend your own beer, you'll need to have at least a couple years worth of batches ready for blending, so it's not something you need to worry about soon..or ever for that matter.

Oh...and welcome to the forum.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
usually it is used to carbonate the beer.

get this: you take some of the NEW beer, which is fresh with sugar, and add a small portion of that to your finished beer and then bottle condition.

instead of using corn sugar, you are using actual wort. if you make a duplicate of the original beer, then you actually have used nothing but the same ingredients throughout the entire batch.

This is called Krausening
Thank you, DeathBrewer and all who cleared that up for me...

I could see where that could be useful...not so much for the fairly new home-brewer but I get the point. There is definitely a plus to keeping the ingredients pure throughout. I would imagine this is most useful for combining batches with very different ages.

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Quick Reply