New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding DME to starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
citabria
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Adding DME to starter

I'm brewing batch #3 next week and want to make a starter. I got a starter kit from Morebeer and the directions say to mix the DME, water, and yeast nutrient into the flask and then begin the boil. Palmers says to bring the water to boil and then add the DME. Is there any harm in adding the DME to the cold water prior to boiling? The Morebeer way would be easier with the flask since I wouldn't have to deal with pouring DME into the small flask opening while dealing with the boil and steam.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Makes no difference. Just as long as you cool it before pitching the yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Word of warning: that flask on the stove will boil-over in a heartbeat. Looks fine - blink - boil-over. I bought the same kit, but after the first time I boiled in a pan and transferred.

Rick

Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R
Word of warning: that flask on the stove will boil-over in a heartbeat. Looks fine - blink - boil-over. I bought the same kit, but after the first time I boiled in a pan and transferred.

Rick
Damn right!!! Every time I've tried boiling starter wort in my flask I ended up with a wort volcano. Now I simply boil and cool the wort in a stock pot then transfer it into the flask with a sanitized funnel. I know lots of guys who always boil their wort in the flask and never have a problem but I've never had it work for me. To each their own I guess.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #5
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R

Rick
True, True!! Glad to know I wasn't the only one. Only it took me 2-3 boilovers before I switched to boiling my starter wort in a big pot and transferring it into my sterilized flask.

Quick Reply