Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding coffee to stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Clay26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding coffee to stout

Im brewing an extract stout and the instructions say to add 1 1/2 cups espresso coffee to the priming solution before bottling. I would like to keg this batch and force carbonate but not sure what to do with the coffee. Would it still be added at the time of racking to the keg or does the natural carbing change the flavor of the coffee somehow?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

yes add it to the keg. The priming solution is just sugar that the remaining yeasties will eat to give off the CO2 in the bottle, carbonating the beer. U can keep the sugar out and just put the coffee in the keg as ur racking it because ur adding ur own CO2. A lot of people do this to their cider that that keg. Adding different flavorings and such.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
bdh
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

The instructions say that just so the coffee will be as fresh as possible when you add it. Some people notice that the coffee flavor drops over time, so the idea behind adding it at bottling is to put the coffee in as late as possible to get as much coffee flavor as you can. Adding it when you rack to the keg should be fine.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Clay26
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replies! How do I make sure the coffee is sanitizedl? I saw that a cold brew in a french press is preffered. Do you boil it after to get rid of any bad stuff?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I dunno about actual brewed coffee, my experience deals with soaking the coffee beans in vodka for a few days, throwing it in the freezer, skimming off the lipid/fat deposit at the top and pitching the remaining liquid.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I just use boiled water and after its cooled I add 4oz by weight to 16oz of water and put it in the fridge for 48hrs then added at bottling.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

So you guys are cold steeping the beans or the grinds? And you are not brewing the coffee? I have a similar kit that says to brew the coffee in the coffee maker. Is infection going to be a possibility? What is best way to get max coffee flavor?

Sorry I hijacked your thread :/

Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
bdh
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

What I do is grind the beans on the coarsest setting that my grinder can do. Then I cold steep the coarse ground beans in cold water in my french press for a couple days (after spraying the french press with star-san). Some commercial breweries (and homebrewers) just put coarsely ground beans into the secondary then rack on top of them for a few days instead, but I personally like the cold steep method since then the french press gets rid of all the grinds for me (and you don't have to mess with a secondary).

Infection is a slight possibility, but I don't see it being too much of an issue. If you want to be extra careful you could soak the beans in vodka prior to the cold steep, but I've never heard of someone getting an infection in their beer from coffee beans.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

So brewing the coffee in the coffee maker is not recommended? I feel like this would impart the most flavor...

Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I just threw .8 oz of coarsely ground beans into a mesh hop bag and added to the last day of primary prior to racking (24 hrs). I got the coffee flavor, but it was not overly intense.

Primary #1: Ice Shanty Bock #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Quick Reply