Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding coffee to primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
KenDawg19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding coffee to primary

I'm adding cold-brewed espresso into my primary to make a coffee stout. I was hoping to add the coffee before the end of active fermentation for the convection to mix it naturally. However, it seems as if active fermentation is near it's end (I took the first hydrometer reading tonight). Since I'm not using a secondary (still a novice!), would it be OK to pour the coffee into the primary and mix it up with a spoon? How long would it take for the sediment to settle again? Is it advised to stir up the sediment in the primary or should I just add the coffee to the bottles instead? I may bottle by next Thursday (at 14 days of fermentation in primary).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by KenDawg19; 04-24-2009 at 04:21 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

I think you could stir it in very slowly and carefully as to avoid oxiginating the beer.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't bother stirring it. It will mix fairly well as is. You could even add it to your bottling bucket, as the coffee isn't really going to change any during the fermentation process. If you do add it to the primary, when you rack it to the bottling bucket, it will finish any mixing that it didn't get in the primary.

In fact, I would say it would be best to put it in the bottling bucket, though, since the yeast won't absorb any of the coffee flavor.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
KenDawg19
Recipes 

Sounds good Mac! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
I wouldn't bother stirring it. It will mix fairly well as is. You could even add it to your bottling bucket, as the coffee isn't really going to change any during the fermentation process. If you do add it to the primary, when you rack it to the bottling bucket, it will finish any mixing that it didn't get in the primary.

In fact, I would say it would be best to put it in the bottling bucket, though, since the yeast won't absorb any of the coffee flavor.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I was listening to the Sunday Session episide where Spike from Terrapin came on. He said that for their Wake n' Bake Imperial stout, he adds 1lb/bbl of fresh roast ground coffee to the beer once it is done fermenting. He leaves it on the coffee for 24-36 hours, then filters it. Just a thought.

Quick Reply