Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding Coffee to Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Adding Coffee to Porter

Looking to brew up a Porter with coffee. Pipeline Porter is the culprit.
I found a extract kit http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PORTER-P287C189.aspx now I need to add the coffee,,,,how do you do it?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have no idea how they do it but The micro brewery in Honeoye, NY brews a killer coffee porter! One of the best beers I've ever tasted!!!

Beer is good, no beer is very bad!

Fridge is full and I can't stack anymore cases in the closet. I need to drink more!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 894 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

I just brewed my first porter. It's amazing how complex a basic robust porter is. I recommend that you brew a porter without coffee first, then look into doing a coffee porter.

If you want, you can secondary a gallon of the porter with some coffee as a test.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only coffee beer I've made was a partial mash coffee stout. The instructions I had called to steep the coffee for 30 minutes or so, raise to 165, then mash what grains I had inside the coffee for an hour.

The end product was delicious.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
phattony
Recipes 

I just did a vanilla coffee porter. I added a pot of French pressed coffee into the bottling bucket, racked and then bottled.

Kegged:Nothing yet....

I remember my first beer.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
phattony
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattony
I just did a vanilla coffee porter. I added a pot of French pressed coffee into the bottling bucket, racked and then bottled.
I might add... I sanitized all of my coffee making equipment first and brought the water to make the coffee to a boil, which is standard French press process.
Kegged:Nothing yet....

I remember my first beer.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
glockspeed31
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I actually did a coffee porter using Hawaiian coffee (whole beans that I ground at time of use) and a french press. I filled the french press with 16oz cold water and 3 scoops of coffee. I let it cold steep for about a couple hours and then added to a gallon of the porter beer and let set in a secondary for about a week, then bottled and let age for about 3 weeks at room temp, then chilled for a week. First one after the week of chilling was ok, but tried another one after two weeks of chilling, I started picking up more coffee flavors. Might try it again using more coffee to get a bolder coffee flavor.

The reason I cold steeped the coffee was that I wanted the flavors, but not the oils of the coffee beans that come out in the hot water.

Good luck on your trials.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
Looking to brew up a Porter with coffee. Pipeline Porter is the culprit.
I found a extract kit http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PORTER-P287C189.aspx now I need to add the coffee,,,,how do you do it?
I actually based my robust porter recipe off pipeline's ingredients. I brewed without coffee and just recently split a batch to add coffee. I cold brewed coffee and added at bottling. In fact, I think I overdid the coffee.

Best advice I can give from my limited experience is when you design the porter part of the recipe, adjust your bittering to account for the bittering the coffee will add.

PM me if you want the recipe I used. It took 1st place my homebrew club this month. I haven't gotten a chance to post it yet.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Balue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

^^ +1 for cold brewing that's what I did with my coffee vanilla porter and it came out awesome. Was very similar to Ballast Point Victory at Sea since I went to the same place they get their coffee from.

I cold brewed it in a french press for 24 hours in the fridge and then added to the keg. Was about 16oz of coffee added.

Hey Packersfan I am from San Diego as well was just down at Ballast Point Home Brew Mart last night for cask night.

: Black Tip Stout, Hopperhead IPA Up next The Blonde that went to India.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balue View Post
^^ +1 for cold brewing that's what I did with my coffee vanilla porter and it came out awesome. Was very similar to Ballast Point Victory at Sea since I went to the same place they get their coffee from.

I cold brewed it in a french press for 24 hours in the fridge and then added to the keg. Was about 16oz of coffee added.

Hey Packersfan I am from San Diego as well was just down at Ballast Point Home Brew Mart last night for cask night.
Also throwing in what I learned from a brewer, who happens to make my absolute favorite coffee stout: Use a low acidity bean like Guatemalan with a large grind, cold pressed for at least 24 hours. Boiled, pre-chilled water, in a sanitized container.

For technique, filter it before adding at bottling. You could also add it to secondary as well, and let it sit for a while. Just filter first to keep the grinds out... to avoid any potential bitter aftertaste.

As for amount, it depends on what you want for coffee flavor. I've read that slightly less than 6oz per gallon is approximately the right ratio, although I'm sure others with more experience brewing with coffee can chime in on amount.

Quick Reply