Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding Blueberries to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
CliffMongoloid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default Adding Blueberries to secondary

Please help me with how to add blueberries to the secondary. I have looked on alot of posts and cannot find a solid plan. Do i boil for 30 mins or 15 seconds, at 160 or 180? do i soad in stan san or vodka? do i just throw in? please help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Pick the one you are comfortable with and then when it's ready, drink one and try to figure out why there are as many opinions about how to add fruit as there are religions.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 118

im leaning towards put in blender for a bit frozen and heat to 160 for 30 mins.... what ya think?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
CaptnCully
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

Just bottled my first irish blackberry blonde last weekend I froze 5 lbs of berries.. Mashed en up.. Added 2 cups of pre- boiled sterilized water..(your not going to boil em) Heated to 160 .. Put em in an ice bath to bring down to your fermenting temp.. Poured them into the secondary.. racked the beer on top of them..remember to leave a head space because it will have a second fermentation.. Also use a blow off tube cuz an airlock will probably get plugged.. Left mine in the secondary for two weeks.. The only problem that I had was racking in to the bottling bucket without picking up small chunks of berries and this created a problem with the bottling wand getting plugged. Next time I will try to put the berries in a muslin bag but I use glass carboys and this may prove difficult also. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
bdh
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffMongoloid View Post
im leaning towards put in blender for a bit frozen and heat to 160 for 30 mins.... what ya think?
Should be fine. Probably don't even need 30mins. 10-15mins would probably be fine.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not sure what to tell you here. I'm using 5lbs of fresh picked strawberries in my secondary this Friday. I mixed them in a bowl of grain alcohol to sanitize and then froze them. Best I can do is let you know how this turns out in a week after this Friday.

I plan to rack to a "tertiary" fermenter to allow the strawberry goo to settle though. Not sure if blueberries would benefit from that.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
timmah84
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

You can also use a piece of crushed campden tablet mixed with boiling water, and allow them to soak for 24 hrs prior. This will kill any wild yeasts etc. I have done this for my fresh raspberries. You might see the fruit will be bleached, but don't worry, still fine. The sulfites in the tablet should evaporate during the 24 hour period. Put a piece of sanitized foil over it.

Kegged: None

Old 07-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
crazyworld
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I did a double chocolate cherry stout where I used 4 pounds of frozen cherries and without any water (okay, maybe a splash or two so I could crank the burner without burning), covered it and I brought the whole thing to 170 degrees or so and held it there for about 5 or 10 minutes. I left it to cool naturally (covered!) for about an hour and then dumped them in my sanitized secondary bucket and then racked on top of them no matter the temperature; it wasn't that screaming hot anymore and maybe it killed some yeast, but surely not all. Mashing them up a bit more than I did while they were heating would have probably been a good idea to increase surface area and get more flavor. However, I think the blender is a bit overkill here. I also tried to not to heat them too hot or for too long to create too much pectin (the stuff that makes jelly, jelly) but I'm not sure how crucial this really is. I couldn't seem to find a solid answer before I said "the hell with it" and it came out just fine.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
crazyworld
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Oh and although starsan at proper dilution is pretty safe stuff, don't go sanitizing fruit with it. Personally, I would consider using alcohol if I couldn't use heat; I'm already going to be drinking alcohol, lets keep it that way.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

If you blanched the fruit before you froze them, you could be fine. However, blueberries are one of the few fruits that you don't need to blanch to keep in the freezer.

Quick Reply