Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding additional yeast to a Dubbel during secondary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
mikecshultz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Adding additional yeast to a Dubbel during secondary fermentation

Hey all. So I am currently fermenting my first Belgian Dubbel (yay!). When I was picking up the supplies at my LHBS the (generally very knowledgeable) guy that works there said that I should re-pitch a small amount of yeast when I transfer to secondary. He said like a 4th of a smack pack. However, I did some research and apparently the internet is silent on the issue. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this, or done this in the past. I would love any help you could give me. Thanks all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Haven't brewed a Dubbel yet, but I was under the impression you wanted fermentation to be over with before moving to secondary, so not sure of the purpose of adding additional yeast, unless Dubbel's have a knack for killing off yeast somehow. Secondary fermentation I think is a bit of a misnomer in itself, it's just a secondary vessel to aid in clearing and flavor additions, as far as I knew. I can't imagine it will do anything bad to it, but it sounds like you'd be wasting a smack pack.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
mikecshultz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Those were kind of my thoughts. I just took my first hydrometer reading and it is right where I want it to be. So I will probably not be adding more yeast unless anyone else has experience or information that says otherwise.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

That's one of my favorite styles. I have never pitched twice while making it. If you areate well. (shaking, not rocking, the bucket for 40 seconds works for me) there should be no need for a second pitch.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Quick Reply