Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding additional yeast to a Dubbel during secondary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
mikecshultz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Adding additional yeast to a Dubbel during secondary fermentation

Hey all. So I am currently fermenting my first Belgian Dubbel (yay!). When I was picking up the supplies at my LHBS the (generally very knowledgeable) guy that works there said that I should re-pitch a small amount of yeast when I transfer to secondary. He said like a 4th of a smack pack. However, I did some research and apparently the internet is silent on the issue. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this, or done this in the past. I would love any help you could give me. Thanks all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Haven't brewed a Dubbel yet, but I was under the impression you wanted fermentation to be over with before moving to secondary, so not sure of the purpose of adding additional yeast, unless Dubbel's have a knack for killing off yeast somehow. Secondary fermentation I think is a bit of a misnomer in itself, it's just a secondary vessel to aid in clearing and flavor additions, as far as I knew. I can't imagine it will do anything bad to it, but it sounds like you'd be wasting a smack pack.

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
mikecshultz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Those were kind of my thoughts. I just took my first hydrometer reading and it is right where I want it to be. So I will probably not be adding more yeast unless anyone else has experience or information that says otherwise.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

That's one of my favorite styles. I have never pitched twice while making it. If you areate well. (shaking, not rocking, the bucket for 40 seconds works for me) there should be no need for a second pitch.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Quick Reply