Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Added Yeast Too Soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Stew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Added Yeast Too Soon?

I may have misread the thermometer on my fermenter and added my yeast when the batch was still too hot. Generally how long does it take for the "bubbling" to start occurring and if I did add my yeast too soon can I add more yeast?
Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
geopet
Recipes 

You might want to check out the sticky on this section:

Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Geoff

Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
deitzberg
Recipes 

I just brewed my first batch of True Brew Pale Ale All Malt. About 8 or so hours after I put in the yeast I started to see the air lock bubbling. About 2 days later it has stopped bubbling. Now I have a satellite beer sitting with my fermentor so I can check the specific gravity every once and a while. I started out at 1.040 and now 5 days later I am down to 1.020. The bucket is by my bed so I can keep an eye one it very easily and I have not seen it bubble in a few days. I think that I may have added the yeast too early but the directions said I could have added it as early as 90 degrees. But from every thing that I had read 75 was a good target. If I did manage to kill the yeast should I get more and add it in? Also I realize that the airlock is not a good judge in when determining if the yeast is done but it just worries me.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by deitzberg View Post
I just brewed my first batch of True Brew Pale Ale All Malt. About 8 or so hours after I put in the yeast I started to see the air lock bubbling. About 2 days later it has stopped bubbling. Now I have a satellite beer sitting with my fermentor so I can check the specific gravity every once and a while. I started out at 1.040 and now 5 days later I am down to 1.020. The bucket is by my bed so I can keep an eye one it very easily and I have not seen it bubble in a few days. I think that I may have added the yeast too early but the directions said I could have added it as early as 90 degrees. But from every thing that I had read 75 was a good target. If I did manage to kill the yeast should I get more and add it in? Also I realize that the airlock is not a good judge in when determining if the yeast is done but it just worries me.
If the SG is down 20 points, the yeast are not dead. I usually pitch my yeast when my wort is around 65 degrees, but even much warmer won't kill the yeast. You may just have some fruity flavors if it was too warm.

Just because you don't see airlock bubbling doesn't mean that things aren't happening inside. Try not to think about the beer for at least another 10 days, then open it up and take an SG sample.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
boydak
Recipes 

I have pitched as hot as 82 and ended up with great beer.

Yeasties are tought little buggers.

P.S. I love that you keep it next to your bed!!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Too hot as in 80F or 120F? The former isn't a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
Stew
Recipes 

Update - 6/22/09
My air lock is happily percolating away...thanks for the advice guys.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
geopet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Update - 6/22/09
My air lock is happily percolating away...thanks for the advice guys.
That's great! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
RyanSweeney
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hey guys...I'm a newb...and I think I screwed up. Go figure, right?

I KNOW I added the yeast to my brew too soon, but how long does it take to kill the yeast?

I didn't have a thermometer handy, and didn't think I had enough time to get to the store and back before I had to add the yeast. The instructions said it was more important to add it sooner than later, even if the temperature was not correct.

I added the yeast and capped the bucket. It sat for an hour until my wife got home (asked her to pick up a thermometer on her way home). I checked it and it read 98 F.

I threw in some icecubes and got it down to 85 F...the kit said anywhere between 64 and 90 degrees was ok, however I did not use the dry yeast that came with the kit. I bought the liquid stuff. Anyone know its tolerance to temperature??

As the OP asked, if the yeast is dead, can I add more later? Is the entire kit ruined?

Old 07-04-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
Recusit8m
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

How does the satelite bottle work for ya? Ive seen things about it but ive heard some negative things about it too

Quick Reply