Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Added too much Priming Sugar-What to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
blisterman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Added too much Priming Sugar-What to do?

Ironically, since I just started a thread on bottle bombs, I have just realised that I made a stupid mistake and added far too much glucose powder to my beer.

Being European I usually brew in metric, but I was following an American recipe for a hefe weizen, which called for half a pound of priming sugar. I remembered the rough conversion rate being 1 pound = 2kg, whereas,as I've just discovered it's actually the other way around, so I added a kilo to 5 gallons, where I should have added 250g.

It's been in the bottles a day. What should I do now? Wait a couple days, open the bottles to release the pressure, and recap them? Throw out the whole batch? Or leave it as it is?

Give a man a brew and he'll be drunk for a day, Teach a man to brew, and he'll be drunk for a lifetime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

half a pound for 5 gallons?!

That sounds a bit high to me. Anyway on to your predicament.

A couple of days won't have built that much pressure. I think you could try it after a week or so? Dunno. I would not dump it. Try it and just keep an eye on them. Put them in a plastic tub or something to keep them from making a mess just in case.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 10-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterman View Post
Ironically, since I just started a thread on bottle bombs, I have just realised that I made a stupid mistake and added far too much glucose powder to my beer.

Being European I usually brew in metric, but I was following an American recipe for a hefe weizen, which called for half a pound of priming sugar. I remembered the rough conversion rate being 1 pound = 2kg, whereas,as I've just discovered it's actually the other way around, so I added a kilo to 5 gallons, where I should have added 250g.

It's been in the bottles a day. What should I do now? Wait a couple days, open the bottles to release the pressure, and recap them? Throw out the whole batch? Or leave it as it is?
Holy cow, I'm not good with metric, but half a pound of priming sugar? That is a heck of alot of priming sugar right there, probably too much as it is. But, you more than quadrupled it? You added over 2 pounds of priming sugar to 5 gallons? (a kilo is 2.2 pounds, right?) That's a lot of sugar. I guess you could uncap all of the bottles and gently pour them back into a fermenter and allow it to ferment it. I think 2 pounds of sugar would really change the character of the beer, depending on the recipe, but I don't know what else to suggest.

What was the original recipe? Maybe the KG of sugar won't be too bad?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just think of what 2# of corn sugar does to Apfelwein.

I say get it back under an airlock QUICKLY!

Give it a week or so, and then try to bottle again. Can't say how good it'll be, but it should be a few % higher ABV!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think letting it ferment out is a possible good idea, but...

You risk serious oxidation trying to get the beer back into a fermenter though

52 #2 stoppers and airlocks on each bottle?

hmmm. quite a predicament...

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 10-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
blisterman
Recipes 

Back in the fermenter it is. I'd rather risk serious oxidation than serious bottle bombs.

Give a man a brew and he'll be drunk for a day, Teach a man to brew, and he'll be drunk for a lifetime.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterman View Post
Back in the fermenter it is. I'd rather risk serious oxidation than serious bottle bombs.
I have to agree with you. Even 8 ounces (the recipes request) would have been too much. 2.2 pounds is a definite bomb. Hopefully, you can put them back into the fermenter without too much aeration.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
jhb
Recipes 

+1 on back to the fermentor. You'll end up with aobut 1.5% more abv than you planned, but that's not such a bad thing. Especially compared to 50 detonations.

Aging: Magic Hat #9 clone
Primary: None
Next up: Strong Golden Ale

Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
blisterman
Recipes 

Lucky I chanced upon a reference in a thread to (non metric/imperial specific measurement) 3/4 a cup of sugar, and decided to recheck my measurement.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
blisterman
Recipes 

Ok, it's been defused, and back in the fermenter. It was already gushing out after one day, so good thing I caught it.
FG was 1.012. With all that extra sugar, the gravity's gone to 1.020. It tastes good too although very sweet. Hopefully it'll still taste alright, once it's been fermented again.

Quick Reply