Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > added priming sugar too early

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
dillypo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
There will be no difference. Save some money and go with the bucket.
I disagree. There is two minor differences. One is that the carboy is clear, some people like to look at their beer to see how clear its getting or how much trub has dropped to the bottom. The other is that its possible for plastic to get little microscopic scratches from cleaning or just stuff touching the sides. It's pretty much unavoidable over a long enough period of time. Those little scratches can make it so your sanitizer can't get in and properly sanitize and thus lead to infection (repeat infections if you don't throw it out after the first one).

However, that chance isn't huge on a per brew basis. Given 10 years you'll probably need to throw it out where as a carboy you wouldn't, but 1 year, 2 years? It'll probably be more than fine.

Also there is the point made above that you generally don't really need to use secondary at all, just let it sit in primary for 3-6 weeks. You really only need to rack to secondary if you're going to be aging it for much much longer than that, or you want to rack ontop of something like fruit or dryhop (although some people have had plenty of success by just adding to the primary). I only rack to secondary because I've got a 6.5 gal and 5 gal so I need to free up the 6.5 to start the next batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Pezedorado
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I prefer to not have all the head space of a bucket during my secondary. I tend to leave my secondary (when I do one) for a long time and the lack of head space helps me worry less about an infection taking over from racking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply