Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > added dry yeast at 82F...stupid I know

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
BrewKepf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default added dry yeast at 82F...stupid I know

Making a Stout from an extract kit.

I did everything fine until the last step. I did a full boil instead of a partial and got impatient.

On Tuesday night, I added the dry yeast to the ferment bucket at 82F.

On Wednesday, the bucket temp was down to 75F.

On Thursday it is down to 68F which is room temp.

Still no action on the carboy, even when I press down on the lid. The othe 2 extracts I have done showed activity withing 12 hours.

My question is, should I just open it up and add more dry yeast? Did I kill the other dry yeast? Or should I give the yeast more time?

Bottled 3/7: Cream Ale
Fermenting 3/7: Belgian Ale
On Deck: Imperial Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

probably not...Most yeasts should be added below 80 but its just a baseline...you still should have been fine. Give it atleast a few days before you worry. Occasionaly i have had yeasts take up to 5 days to really show activity (bubbles) but gas production isnt an accurate display of fermentation...for all you know its fermenting away. Look in and see if there is any krausen, if not i would wait one more day and pitch fresh yeast.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

82 F isn't hot enough to kill the yeast. The reason for letting the wort cool down is so you don't ferment to hot. If it ferments too hot you can get off flavors in your beer. The yeast that comes with extract kits is usually pretty forgiving.

You said when you push on the lid you get no airlock activity? Are you using a carboy or a bucket? If it's a bucket you may have an air leak somewhere.

Check your gravity. Your beer may be done already. Yeast can ferment pretty fast at 82 F. I had batches finish in a couple of days. (I still like to wait a few more days just to be sure.)

Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did the same thing the other day and everything turned out fine. although I had a pretty strong ferment with the higher temp - and it has a slight banana smell... I bet Brian is right, you may have an airleak.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If it was closer to 90-100 I would be worried.

80 shouldn't kill it. Maybe just shake it around a bit.

See, thats why I use a glass carboy as my primary.. then you can see how everything is doing.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
BrewKepf
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I'll pop it open today, take a hydro reading, then do the same in a day or two.

That should let me know if I need to add yeast again.

Thank you all again.

Bottled 3/7: Cream Ale
Fermenting 3/7: Belgian Ale
On Deck: Imperial Stout

Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I would not be surprised if the fermentation was done the first night. 82F would make for explosive growth and a very fast ferment. Probably some fruity aromas as well.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
malenkylizards
Recipes 

Hmmm...

Semi-related question for y'all. I'm a newbie mazer who was fixing up a 1-quart yeast starter last night to start a batch tonight. Three cups of water were heated in a saucepan, then removed and a cup of honey, a quarter teaspoon of yeast nutrient and a couple of pieces of mango [the fruit used in the mead]. The technique I was following said to let this cool to room temperature, then aerate and pitch the yeast, wet champagne yeast in my case. Trouble is, I started way too late, and by 2 AM the sterilized glass 5-pound honey jar I had it in was still warm to the touch, even after putting it in the fridge for a half hour. I hadn't been sleeping well and was way, way tired, and just decided to pitch the yeast so I could get four hours of sleep. I didn't take the temperature of the stuff, but the touch of the glass on the outside was like a mug of coffee after it's been out for an hour or so; above room temperature but still warm [there's scientific rigor for ya!]

There were a *few* bubbles this morning, but not a lot. Should I be concerned? If the yeast starter ain't up to snuff when I get home, anything I can do to encourage it? As I live in a crowded house, tonight is really the only time I'll be able to do it soon, so if it can't happen then, it'll be postponed for quite some time.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
peepfoot
Recipes 

Im not an expert, and I dont know much about mead, but it should be fine. Actually, most answers you get her is "youshould be just fine". Because this is a hobby that will work on itself. you shouldnt have to do too much to make a great product. Enjoy!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
malenkylizards
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepfoot View Post
Im not an expert, and I dont know much about mead, but it should be fine. Actually, most answers you get her is "youshould be just fine". Because this is a hobby that will work on itself. you shouldnt have to do too much to make a great product. Enjoy!
*sigh* Yeaahhh, you're right. I kinda keep forgetting that this is what yeast like to do. Thanks for the pep talk!

Quick Reply