Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Added blow off, but the bucket is still leaking.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
JFranko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Added blow off, but the bucket is still leaking.

Hi HBT, first time poster, long time lurker. I started my second batch last night, which is a Russian imperial stout with an OG of 1.08. After 26 hours into the fermentation I noticed the airlock leaking, so I looked up how to setup a blow off, and set one up. Now it is leaking a little from around the rim. Is this an issue other than the mess?

Also, while I have your attention, how long should I ferment? I was planning on doing 2 weeks in the primary, 3-4 in the secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottles (though I'll inevitably have one after each week, "just to make sure things are going right.")

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is the gasket on the lid?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
akimbo78
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

is the bottom of the airlock clogged? how full is the bucket?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
earwig

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

In addition to the other 2 questions... You can just put the hose through the top and leave off the airlock all together. Doing this will give you a larger opening for the krasen that is building up to escape.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFranko View Post
Hi HBT, first time poster, long time lurker. I started my second batch last night, which is a Russian imperial stout with an OG of 1.08. After 26 hours into the fermentation I noticed the airlock leaking, so I looked up how to setup a blow off, and set one up. Now it is leaking a little from around the rim. Is this an issue other than the mess?

Also, while I have your attention, how long should I ferment? I was planning on doing 2 weeks in the primary, 3-4 in the secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottles (though I'll inevitably have one after each week, "just to make sure things are going right.")
This picture looks EXACTLY like my fermentor did this morning when I woke up and checked on it, except I have the tube shoved directly into the grommet without the airlock attached. Apparently my tube had clogged up and the CO2 and Krausen were escaping by the only other means - around the lid. I'm glad I caught it when I did or I might've had a bigger mess on my hands. My Brewers Best bucket showed the EXACT same leakage signs as yours.

I ended up pulling the tube, installing a new clean sanitized one, cleaning up the bucket, and then heading off to work. Nine hours later and all is well, no more signs of leaking around the lid and the yeast are still working like crazy.

I'd bet that your airlock is plugged up a little at the tip just inside the lid because my tube was clogged even without the airlock on it. I'd pull the airlock, clean and re-sanitize the tube, and then stick the tube right into the grommet without the airlock. It goes in really easy with a Star San on it.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah I will agree with the others. I see no action in your pitcher or the tube. I am betting the airlock is clogged and the pressure is having to find another way out.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
bacchusmj
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Also, while I have your attention, how long should I ferment? I was planning on doing 2 weeks in the primary, 3-4 in the secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottles (though I'll inevitably have one after each week, "just to make sure things are going right.")[/QUOTE]

Im a noob but everything I know says beers like RIS and Barleywines require extended fermentation to eat up all that sugar. Ive read anywhere from 3 to 8 months in the secondary.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Try leaving that beer in the primary longer. I left a stout in mine for 4 1/2 weeks and it came out really smooth. You RIS might need longer than mine because of the higher OG. I didn't use a secondary at all. You may want to secondary yours but I don't think there is any reason that you "have to".

Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Other than the mess, there's nothing to worry about. I recommend not transferring to secondary unless you have a good reason to do so, like dry hopping or adding fruit. I'd let it ferment for at least 4 weeks, and then check for correct FG before bottling or kegging.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When you pull the airlock to clean it, do yourself a favor and cut the little 'X' off the bottom. It's very responsible for blockage.

If it were me, I'd primary that sucker forever. In fact, I'd control the temps for a month or so and then store it away in a nice dark closet and brew a few more batches for the pipeline. But, I don't make beer over 1.07 or so (for this time reason), so other experiences may prove more valuable. Kyle

Quick Reply