Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Add Yeast to fermented beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
durandf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Add Yeast to fermented beer

My fermentation started at 1.08 and has stopped at 1.02. What would happen if I added more yeast to get it down even more? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
chrismontgomeryil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If you need a lower Final Gravity because you're missing your target final gravity AND you were all-grain brewing, it sounds like you might have mashed at too high of a temperature, resulting in a higher level of unfermentables. If this is the case, adding more yeast won't help.

If that isn't the case (you didn't all-grain brew at high mash temperatures), but your recipe is still calling for a lower FG - I think we might need some more details . . .

What was your target Final Gravity?
What style of beer is it?
What was your mash temperature, if any?
What was your fermentation temperature?
How long did the beer ferment to get to 1.020?
Are you trying to get a higher ABV?

The high OG makes me think you're brewing a super-hoppy IPA or really huge malt-monster. 1.020 is a perfectly fine number for a 1.080 OG.

All of the above being said, I still consider myself "new" to brewing, so take the advice of more experienced homebrewers, if they post.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

More yeast isn't the solution. You have to aerate the yeast and there is no way to do that without oxidixing the beer that has already been created. Proceed with the process and enjoy the beer that you have created. It will be good and you will make another that will be even better..........

Quick Reply