New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Add fruit to secondary of hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
jmcelher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Add fruit to secondary of hefeweizen

So I brewed one batch of American light which went well. My 2nd batch I brewed a Bavarian hefeweizen from northern(5gal). Says bottle after 2 weeks which I want to do with3gallons. The other 2 gallons I want to ferment in two 1 gallon secondary's than bottle. Thoughts? What fruits?thinking oranges and pears in each. And thinking of freezing them or use hard liquor? Discuss?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Use extracts if you can, with 1 gallon secondaries, after adding enough fruit to actually flavor anything you will only be able to fit 1/2 to 3/4ths of a gallon in the fermenters.

Both oranges and Pears i think are too muted and would take a lot of fruit to actually impart any flavor. Use extracts, or most home brew shops sell fruit concentrates in cans, think fruit preserves you'd use for toast and thats what it looks like, without all the extra sugar of course

Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You can add any fruit you want... Some of the best stand out fruits IMHO are Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apricots, and peaches. I will let you know though that you will restart fermentation, and end up with a dry and tart beer.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
jmcelher
Recipes 

Do not want a tart beer. I'll look into extracts. I just want to try something in 2 secondaries. Maybe even dry hoping a bit?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
dneubeck85
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I racked my beer right on puréed strawberries. Let it sit for two more weeks and viola....strawberry flavor!! Adding extract can get out of hand. Add too much and you have over flavored beer. IMHO fresh fruit is always best!!

Quick Reply