The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Add in extras?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Add in extras?

I'll be doing my first partial mash soon, and I was curious if I should worry about adding any water additives, or anything to help the mash?

I know very little about water chemistry. I have well water that was tested as being "hard," but beyond that, I don't know.

I know I shouldn't mess with the water too much when I don't know what's in it, but is there anything "basic" I could add that would help the mash?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Don't mess with your water until you go all-grain, unless you know what you are doing. The extracts already contain all the minerals the yeast need to be happy.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Don't mess with your water until you go all-grain, unless you know what you are doing. The extracts already contain all the minerals the yeast need to be happy.
Okay, but when I'm doing the partial mash, that'll be before any extract is added. But in general it should mash okay without worrying about adding anything to help it along?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Take a pH reading of your mash (cooled sample). If it's in the ballpark, which it probably will be, you're fine. If it's too high, I'd adjust with acid or acidulated malt instead of salts.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Quick Reply