Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adapting recipes to ingredients available

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Another option is to toast/roast the grains yourself. I found the info in this blog valuable. You can even make specialty malts like special b using the methods mentioned there, or at least an approximation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Kabe Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Yup let´s continue in english for the sake of the thread. Anything you need just send a PM.
This guys are in Murcia
http://latiendadelcervecero.com/es/cerveza-artesanal
so expect lower shipping cost to alicante, they pack the things a lot better than the other guys, nice ziplock bags for grain and when you buy 250gr of hops they will give you two 125g vacuum packed bags. They also ship very fast I usually get it the next day. If you have a car is not a very long ride and you can save some money in shipping costs.
I got to admit I´m very thrill of finding a fellow homebrewer nearby, there is not a lot of us in Spain and just a handful in this forum (I actually think I´m the only spanish active member).
You´ll find that this forum is a great source of information from experienced brewers. As I told you don´t hesitate to PM if you need anything and if you are ever around Benidorm drop by for cerveza artesana. Cheers and brew on!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Another option is to toast/roast the grains yourself. I found the info in this blog valuable. You can even make specialty malts like special b using the methods mentioned there, or at least an approximation.
Love that blog. My attempts at crystal have been uneven, and I don't want to risk the wrath of the missus or the fire department by trying to make black patent at home. But any toasted-type malt from 10L to 175L
I make following those instructions. Easy as could be, and makes great beer.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
Love that blog. My attempts at crystal have been uneven, and I don't want to risk the wrath of the missus or the fire department by trying to make black patent at home. But any toasted-type malt from 10L to 175L
I make following those instructions. Easy as could be, and makes great beer.
I'm thinking that for darker malts on the level of house burning folks could adapt some of the diy rigs that home coffee roasters are using. There's a ton of variations on this theme all over the place, including on here iirc.

Here's the make article this pic is from.

And do that outside.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

that´s so cool

Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Kabe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thank you all for the advice and links. To my brewing neighbor: small world! Not only I find you here today but according to my girlfriend the website from Cartagena you recommend is probably owned by the guy that sells extract brewing kits to our favorite beer shop in Murcia (Cervemur). I'll do a little research tomorrow, but anyway I think I'll give them a call and pay a visit. I'll tell you how it goes.

I'm also very glad to know about other brewer nearby!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

LOL....I was going to post the anyone from spain thread in here, BUT I realized the only person other than me who posted in there, is oblivious brew....

Hey, is there any way possibly any of you could send me some chorizo? For decades my family would get it from a Spanish Butcher in Carbondale, Illinois, and we would have to buy it in a Mexican Grocery store in Detroit, but he evidently passed and you can't get it any more here in Michigan, and what I can find, is not the same (and obviously most of it is the Mexican Kind, but what few supposedly spanish brands just suck.) I'm learning sausage making to try to recreate the recipe we grew up on. But so far I can't get the right paprika to garlic ratio that I'm familiar with (the fat would just render out this brilliant red oil full of garlicky goodness.)

I don't know if there's a way, but if I could get a few different type from there, maybe I could get a closer approximation of what I grew up with. I just found some imported called Palacios from La Rioja, but it's too hard and mealy compare to what we used to get. I don't know if sausage can be shipped by "civilians" but if you guy could maybe help me out, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg, my sister and I would be so excited....we've tried over the years to find what we grew up with.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

the paprika that you use (we call it pimenton) is very important I will try to find "Pimenton de la Vera" a very nice smoked paprika that is kind of unique in some places something similar (Pimenton de la Vera name protected with some kind of D.O.) and is sell like "pimenton de matanza" that translates into something like "slaugther paprika" I don´t know exactly what chorizo are you looking for but I wouldn´t mind to send you some... will it have problems clearing customs tougth vaccum packed?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
the paprika that you use (we call it pimenton) is very important I will try to find "Pimenton de la Vera" a very nice smoked paprika that is kind of unique in some places something similar (Pimenton de la Vera name protected with some kind of D.O.) and is sell like "pimenton de matanza" that translates into something like "slaugther paprika" I don´t know exactly what chorizo are you looking for but I wouldn´t mind to send you some... will it have problems clearing customs tougth vaccum packed?
Yeah that's one of the issues I'm having, getting good pimenton, most of the stuff here is either so old it's tasteless....maybe that's what I should have you guys send me, some good paprikas.....

The chorizos we grew up on were not extremely hard like the spanish stuff we get here now, more like a summer sausage texture? It had a good amount of fat but it wasn't like a hard salami, more like the softer ones. I'm trying to describe something I haven't been able to find in a decade, it's like I'll know it when I try it....weird.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
Kabe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Take the advice on paprika given by Obliviousbrew. Won't be the same without pimentón. I'd be also glad to help, but there are so many kinds of chorizo... If you can't be more specific we can try to make a little selection. I've sent this kind of goods to France and Croatia to friends working abroad and they got there just fine. I don't know about the US customs but some ziplock might do the trick.

Quick Reply