Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > "Active" Vs. "regular" Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
mahilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Active" Vs. "regular" Fermentation

What is the advantage of a very active fermentation (like the ones I've read about here that blow out the air lock) compared to a regular fermentation that just bubbles through the air lock for a week or so? As long as the wort ferments all the way down does it really matter how active or subtle the fermentation is? Just wondering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

It all will end up the same. The really explosive ones occur when you have really active yeast and or a huge starter as well as a ton of fermentables.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

You always want "active" fermentation, not one that just chuggs along slowly for weeks. But active does not mean the lid is blowing off and a blow off tube is necessary. The crazy fermentations that fill up the airlock are a result of several factors that are hard to quantify: Grain bill, gravity, yeast strain, yeast amount, yeast health, temperature, aeration, mash schedule.

In short, an active fermentation will have healthy yeast and ferment completely, giving cleaner beer with less chance of yeast derrived off-flavors.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply