activator packet question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802VermontHomebrew

Reaction score
my widwest supplies kit came with 2 activator packets... and every other brew kit I have got from them has only had one, do I use them both? The instructions dont mention two packets and I have brewed this recipie once before and dont remember it having 2 packets.... Its the 20 minute boil irish stout (guiness clone). If that helps, thanks!

Mind telling us what the Activator Packets have stamped on the outside, e.g. what kind of yeast is it?

5 gallons I assume. I would just make a starter with one of them and save the other. You don't need 2 of them.

Yeah, those sound just like regular 'ol dry yeast sachets.

Wyeast activator packs are large (bigger than a DVD case even) and say ACTIVATOR across the top.

edit: To address your concern. Is this a five gallon batch, and what the the starting gravity supposed to be? With a fairly modest gravity wort, 6 grams of dry yeast might not be enough. Would say pitch both 6g packs. But, if they're different strains of yeast, you don't know what you'll end up with. Make a 1L starter with one of them a couple days ahead of time. Save the other in the refrigerator.

One is a sliver packet - 6 grams - stamped xob

The other one is the same size, yellow - muntons yeast

Throw away the Muntons, and I'm not too sure about the "silver" packet, either. 6 grams of dry yeast really isn't enough for a 5 gallon batch of beer, and if the name is hard to find on it, I would doubt that it's high quality yeast.

Get some quality dry yeast- either Nottingham, S05, or S04 and ditch the Munton's and generic yeast. Munton's will work ok with a no-boil kit with corn sugar added, but it doesn't ferment all-malt beers well. Even their instructions say not to use Munton's with all-malt beers.

Latest posts

Back