The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Achieving X volume of carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
FifteenTen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Achieving X volume of carbonation

I’ve brewed 22 five gallon batches, the last five being all grain. Which means I’ve read enough and have just enough experience to be dangerous. My last two batches I thought: “I know carbonation levels are different depending on style. I should use a carbonation calculator to determine the amount of corn sugar necessary to achieve the proper volume of CO2 for this style of beer.”

Using the Northern Brewer calculator I bottled two batches using the amount of corn sugar suggested. I bottled a stout on April 15 with 3.43 oz of corn sugar, its still flat after 35 days. I bottled a pale ale on April 22 with 4.23 oz of corn sugar, its still flat after 28 days.

My “cellar” is on average 70 degrees with swings from 68 to 72 depending on who is winning the thermostat war.

I put a balloon on a random bottle to see if my capper is losing its umph. I’ve also moved the beer to a warmer cellaring area.

My question is this: Should I pay attention to CO2 volume or just use the entire 5oz package of corn sugar my LHBS suggests?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Remember, the three weeks we talk about when at 70 degrees is just a MINIMUM.....Beers often take longer.

I can't say this again, carbonation is FOOLPROOF. You add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which over a period of time goes into solution....it's that simple. Unless the beer is store at below the yeast's flocullation temp and it went to sleep, it WILL carb......WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT. Which could be weeks or even months. But they will carb.

I use calculators all the time, and the beers always calculate to the level they're supposed to.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Use the recommended amount in the calculator. 5 oz will be overcarbed for most styles.

And yeah, +1 to patience if the beer isn't carbed yet.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 40 Posts

I second being patient. I had a porter that took two months to reach a satisfactory level of carbonation. I typically leave my bottles alone for at least four weeks before even trying one.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Those damn yeasties. Fickle little beasts, they are.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Old 05-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Not fickle, they simply are in charge, we're not. And they have their own agenda and timeframes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Not fickle, they simply are in charge, we're not. And they have their own agenda and timeframes.
Sounds like SWMBO
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Old 05-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcott View Post
Sounds like SWMBO
EXACTLY!!!!!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2618

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcott View Post
sounds like swmbo
+2