Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Accurate OG readings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
dropjaw83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Accurate OG readings

What's the best way to get an accurate OG reading. I've only been doing extracts for now. What I've been doing is putting is pumping a little of my final mix into the hydrometers holding case and read from there. The problem is that it seems to stick to the side of the tube and I'm not sure if this is a an accurate reading or not.

My other question is that I brewed a Dunkelweizen today and had a really high OG when I finished. It said I should be at about 1.052 or less. My reading I got was roughly 1.059. Any thoughts? Should I add more top off water? Or am I fine?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
teddy4xp
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If its sticking to side, try spinning the hydrometer, might help a little. Make sure you are adjusting if the wort is above your calibration temp.

.059 isnt too high, might just end up with a slightly stronger beer, i wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropjaw83
What's the best way to get an accurate OG reading. I've only been doing extracts for now. What I've been doing is putting is pumping a little of my final mix into the hydrometers holding case and read from there. The problem is that it seems to stick to the side of the tube and I'm not sure if this is a an accurate reading or not.

My other question is that I brewed a Dunkelweizen today and had a really high OG when I finished. It said I should be at about 1.052 or less. My reading I got was roughly 1.059. Any thoughts? Should I add more top off water? Or am I fine?
Assuming an extract recipe the OG being high is probably due to a poor mix of top off water and wort. It is nearly impossible to get a thorough mix and most readings will either be high or low as a result.

It's pretty hard to not hit OG on extract recipes unless something was really screwed up in the process.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
theempire
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I had my hydrometer sticking to the side of my tube once and then realized the patio table I had it on wasn't level. I probably had a few too many homebrews that day...

Old 07-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Let any foam settle first, then tilt the hydro tube until it floats centered. It takes a little effort, but you can get it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Assuming an extract recipe the OG being high is probably due to a poor mix of top off water and wort. It is nearly impossible to get a thorough mix and most readings will either be high or low as a result.
+1

I had quite a hard time getting readings I was satisfied with when I used top off water, even after shaking and stirring pretty thoroughly.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post

It's pretty hard to not hit OG on extract recipes unless something was really screwed up in the process.
Agreed. I did an extract with steeping grains and thought the OG was off, but it probably wasn't, end up at the called for FG in the recipe as well.

It's pretty hard to get it all mixed up in there and taking an accurate reading, as well as compensating for the temperature difference.

Most if not all of the fermentables are from the extract, so it's hard to miss it unless you added way too much water for some reason, or left some out.

Quick Reply