HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Account for priming sugar in ABV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
petrolSpice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default Account for priming sugar in ABV?

So most equations I've seen use only OG and FG to determine ABV. But what about the priming sugar that is added before bottling? The yeast will convert it into alcohol increasing the ABV. So how is this accounted for? When creating the recipe would I just add the priming sugar in as a fermentable? Or is there a general rule of thumb?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Yes, count the priming sugar as a fermentable. Here is more info on my blog:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...ing-sugar.html

There is a rule of thumb for you as well.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 87 Posts

You are correct in that when bottle carbing, the priming sugar will increase your abv. The amount of the increase will depend on how much you add and your batch volume. In most cases, the increase is around 0.1% bump in the abv, and for most of us, that is negligible and not worth adding into the recipe.

If you want to be absolutely accurate, you could add it into your fermentables and assume 100% fermentability, assuming you are using a simple sugar to prime with.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
petrolSpice
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Thanks guys. For fun I messed with with the recipe calculator and found that 4-5oz of priming sugar will add another 0.2-0.3% to the ABV (for the random recipe I created), which is not an insignificant amount I think. 0.25% seems to be a good rule of thumb from what I've just read doing a google search.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolSpice View Post
Thanks guys. For fun I messed with with the recipe calculator and found that 4-5oz of priming sugar will add another 0.2-0.3% to the ABV (for the random recipe I created), which is not an insignificant amount I think. 0.25% seems to be a good rule of thumb from what I've just read doing a google search.
Remember to account for the increase in volume due to the water you dissolve the sugar in. I think that wil bring your number down quite a bit.

I just ignore it.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 170

I often get higher numbers than the calculator figures and will use a little extra water when I boil my priming sugars to help offset anything. I will often use from a pint to a quart (pre boil) all depending.

I ran a 6 gal recipe through Brewtoad (1.052/1.010 5.5%) and added 4 oz of corn sugar and got 1.054/1.011 5.7%, but went back and added 0.1 gal for the solution it was boiled in which brought it down to 5.6%.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 02-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
drumuglyknuckles
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What is best to use for priming sugar? I been using organic cane sugar with good results

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Corn sugar is what's commonly used, but any sort of sugar can be used.

In the beginning I used carbonation drops, but then tried table sugar, which worked quite well. I've also used honey.

I like this priming sugar calculator as it shows many things and ways to measure it:

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Quick Reply