Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Accidently put Priming Sugar in 2nd

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Slinggalin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Accidently put Priming Sugar in 2nd

I accidently put priming sugar in the secondary fermenter. Is my batch ruined??????????????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No, it's not ruined, but it's now slightly higher in ABV.

Get yourself a new bag of priming sugar, so you'll be set for bottling.

Wait a week or two for the yeast to consume what you added. Have you been taking hydrometer readings? You likely didn't add much, but the specific gravity should have gone up slightly. The reading will need to be fixed for a couple days to make sure that your beer is done, and then use your new priming sugar the correct way, in the bottling bucket before racking.

Your beer is far from ruined. It's now got about a 0.01 boost in ABV, if I recall correctly. That's nothing to worry about, but don't just go tossing sugar in your beer to boost alcohol either, as it's makes crappy tasting beer in large amounts.

ETA: In the future you might want to watch the category you're posting to a bit closer. This might need to be move to the beginner brewing forum. You'll get more answers in the right forum locations.

Congrats on making beer, by the way!

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Last edited by FatDuc; 06-09-2008 at 04:56 AM. Reason: reason in the post

Old 06-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Slinggalin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew View Post
No, it's not ruined, but it's now slightly higher in ABV.

Get yourself a new bag of priming sugar, so you'll be set for bottling.

Wait a week or two for the yeast to consume what you added. Have you been taking hydrometer readings? You likely didn't add much, but the specific gravity should have gone up slightly. The reading will need to be fixed for a couple days to make sure that your beer is done, and then use your new priming sugar the correct way, in the bottling bucket before racking.

Your beer is far from ruined. It's now got about a 0.01 boost in ABV, if I recall correctly. That's nothing to worry about, but don't just go tossing sugar in your beer to boost alcohol either, as it's makes crappy tasting beer in large amounts.

ETA: In the future you might want to watch the category you're posting to a bit closer. This might need to be move to the beginner brewing forum. You'll get more answers in the right forum locations.

Congrats on making beer, by the way!
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info Ma2brew. I thought it was ruined. Don't know what I was thinking when I put the sugar in there.....

I did notice it bubbling alittle afterwards and I was gonna wait about 2 weeks..

I'll watch the categories more closely. Thanks fer the advice

Quick Reply