The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Accidentally spilled half of my yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
DrakeSuperbus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Accidentally spilled half of my yeast

I was pitching a vial of White labs 550 (belgian ale) into 5 gallons of 1.070 wort when I slipped and spilled half of it. I was already underpitching because I didn't have time to get a starter going, but now I am horribly underpitched. Normally I would run out and buy another vial, but I brewed last night after my LHBS closed, and they are not open today or tomorrow. The earliest I can get new yeast into my brew is after work on Tuesday, 72+ hours after pitching the original yeast.

I was doing some research on my own this morning, and have read that underpitching belgian yeast may actually give my brew some of the more characteristic belgian flavors. However, I have also read that doing so with high gravity brews can lead to problems with attenuation.

So I am left with a dilemma. Do I:

1 - RDWHAHB and see what happens.

2 - Throw the fermenter in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep, and bring it out and repitch on tuesday.

3 - Let it go for now and add new yeast on tuesday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus
I was pitching a vial of White labs 550 (belgian ale) into 5 gallons of 1.070 wort when I slipped and spilled half of it. I was already underpitching because I didn't have time to get a starter going, but now I am horribly underpitched. Normally I would run out and buy another vial, but I brewed last night after my LHBS closed, and they are not open today or tomorrow. The earliest I can get new yeast into my brew is after work on Tuesday, 72+ hours after pitching the original yeast.

I was doing some research on my own this morning, and have read that underpitching belgian yeast may actually give my brew some of the more characteristic belgian flavors. However, I have also read that doing so with high gravity brews can lead to problems with attenuation.

So I am left with a dilemma. Do I:

1 - RDWHAHB and see what happens.

2 - Throw the fermenter in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep, and bring it out and repitch on tuesday.

3 - Let it go for now and add new yeast on tuesday.
Alex, I'll take #3 for $200.00 please

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply