Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Accidentally my priming sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #21
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I will bet you $100 you cannot tell the difference between beer primed with table sugar vs corn sugar, apart from *maybe* performing some kind of chemical analysis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #22
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterock View Post
Absurd?? Come on. how?
I'm not trying to make waves here.
Yeast don't work with ever fiber in their being to get to our final gravities. It is not like they push through extreme fatigue just to chew through those few points, then die of exhaustion upon reaching final gravity. If they did, every beer would be insanely phenolic, estery and full of many other off-flavors. It would be the furthest extreme from the clean tasting beverages we know today.

As long as you aren't fermenting 15-20+ degrees above (or below) the yeast strain's optimal range, and not pushing ABV over 12%, then there is no reason the yeast would be "tired". You pitch them into the beer, they work efficiently consuming all available resources, then when they run out they go dormant. Add more resources for them, they will wake up and consume them, then do back to dormancy. How else would breweries, both commercial and hobby level, be able to reuse yeast for many generations if after one batch they were too exhausted to even eat table sugar?

To suggest that yeast are too stressed (what I assume the intended connotation of "tired" to be) to eat one of the simplest sugars available for brewing but are fine to eat another of the simplest sugars out there is absurd.

I can't argue that they may carb faster (although I doubt you would ever notice a difference). You are supposed to condition the beer in bottles for a period anyway, so it is a moot point.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply