Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Accidentally got an all grain...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
goofygarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Accidentally got an all grain...

So I went and bought a recipe kit from my Homebrew store today and later realized I had bought the all grain version when I thought I had gotten the partial mash. Seeing is that I don't have the equipment for an all grain brew, I was wondering if instead I could just steep half of the grains for 30 minutes, sparge and then repeat for the other half and still be okay?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
zaphro
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I do this from time to time when I want more grain then I can fit. Just pay attention to your water levels and be sure to allow enough time for two mashes and you should be fine.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 495 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygarrett View Post
So I went and bought a recipe kit from my Homebrew store today and later realized I had bought the all grain version when I thought I had gotten the partial mash. Seeing is that I don't have the equipment for an all grain brew, I was wondering if instead I could just steep half of the grains for 30 minutes, sparge and then repeat for the other half and still be okay?

Thanks!
Nah, sorry, doesn't work that way.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Depending on your pot size go get yourself a paint strainer bag and search BIAB

Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 365

Is the grain already milled? If not, you might be able to return it. Even if it is milled, you might ask if you can return it...

What is the grain bill for the kit?

I don't know what equipment you have, but you could also do a BIAB-style mini-mash, for example. I'm guessing you might not have a big enough pot to mash all of the grain at once, but maybe split the grain, do a mini mash, then make up the difference with DME. Then you could use the rest of the grain later to do a second brew.

Since you have all grain, you really need to do a mash, not just steep the grains, to get a proper conversion. It's more temperature and time sensitive than steeping.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:

Thanks!
Seems like you should be able to do this so long as you're "mashing" rather than "steeping" the grains (i.e. you're using the right temp and water ratio, which matters less when steeping for extract brews). Since you were trying to buy a PM kit I'm sure you're familiar, but just in case this thread has an awesome breakdown of stovetop mashing, which you could presumably do 2-3 times as necessary depending on the size of your pot to get all the grain mashed and acheived your desired boil volume.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

In that same light, it will also matter how much of which grain you use. If you don't have enough of the base malt, it won't have many fermentables in it and you'll end up with a really low ABV beer.

So I think I'm with BGBC, may be best to just see if you can return it, especially if you don't have any LME or DME on hand.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
goofygarrett
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Well unfortunately I was already steeping the first half of the grain when I made the post so at this point I'm all in and going back to the store for extract is out of the question. I poured a gallon of water over it and started with the second half a little while ago. As long as I keep the grain in for an hour at the right temp, that should be enough time to release all the sugars, correct?

My grain bill is 1 lb of flaked oats, 4.5 lbs of belgian pale ale malt and, and 3.5 lbs of white wheat.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 109 Posts

Quote:
Seeing is that I don't have the equipment for an all grain brew, I was wondering if instead I could just steep half of the grains for 30 minutes, sparge and then repeat for the other half and still be okay?
Why do you use the word "steep"? And why do you say 30 minutes? I assumed you meant simply doing two mashes and combining the resulting wort. You can do that but you don't want to cut the mashing time in half. And you don't want to steep instead of mashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Nah, sorry, doesn't work that way.
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistr25 View Post
In that same light, it will also matter how much of which grain you use. If you don't have enough of the base malt, it won't have many fermentables in it and you'll end up with a really low ABV beer.
Since this is an all-grain kit it has the enough base malt. Make sure you mix the grains thoroughly so that each of the two mashes has have the right proportions of grains.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

goofygarrett Likes This 
Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
goofygarrett
Recipes 

I used the word steep because I had half the grain in a rubber banded bag that I put into the water instead of dumping the grains directly in the water. If I understand correctly, I can't properly 'mash' because I don't have a way to properly separate the grain from the wort.

Whether I'm completely wrong or not... this is what I've done so far. I put half the grain (about 6 lbs) in a bag and let it sit in 160 degree water for 30 minutes, poured a gallon of water over that and then repeated with the other half. After reading all these comments I decided to just go to the nearest Lowes and pick up a paint straining bag and redo the process.

Right now I have all the grain in the bag, sitting in the water (reheated to 160) and I plan to let it sit for an hour to make sure I get as many of the sugars as I can. At this point I realize I've screwed up but I'm just trying to do some damage control so that I don't have to waste all this grain and start over.

Should I be good though? If I let it sit for an hour?

Quick Reply